NERM Plays Chess

Fish Folk

Besides fish keeping, what else are you into?

- Birding -

- Soccer -

- Chess - 

Which brings us to DinDjarin66 (aka Fish Folk) playing late night blitz chess vs. the whole brave new world. 6 min video. "I can bring you in warm . . . or I can bring you in cold."

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Fish Folk said:

💪 climbing respect! 

I'm reading "Ender's Game" right now -- (Orson Scott Card)

do you climb?

I'm not reading anything right now but one of my favorite books is harry potter since covid I've read it not kidding 20 times for the whole series and the books 1-3 a lot more than that

10 minutes ago, quirkylemon103 said:

do you climb?

I'm not reading anything right now but one of my favorite books is harry potter since covid I've read it not kidding 20 times for the whole series and the books 1-3 a lot more than that

lol, there was a time a few years back where all I read was harry potter. It really is a excellent book series.

My spare times revolves around a few things-

Football (It’s not called soccer!🙄) Pre-Covid I enjoyed travelling around Europe to watch my favourite players in some iconic stadiums. This is the second hobby where my money goes😂

Drumming- I’m drum infrequently nowadays, maybe 2/3 times a month but I’m self taught! I used to play a lot more in my teens.

Pool-I’ve been playing 8 Ball Pool for as long as I can remember, we have a table in the man cave!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fish Folk said:

@HardeepTheLondoner are you a Gunner? (BTW: fact check TRUE — it is football!) FCB fan here. Bad season... I like Fati & De Jong. 

Gunner? Nooo! I’m a Manc, through and through😉 My favourites are probably Bruno & De Gea.

Oo I’m sure you weren’t happy with Messi’s contract leak yesterday-Massive wages😳

I went to the Camp Nou not long ago, sadly my bad luck meant Messi was injured for the game! It was Barcelona vs Valencia, great game 🙂

Edited by HardeepTheLondoner
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Fish Folk said:

Besides fish keeping, what else are you into?

- Birding -

- Soccer -

- Chess - 

Which brings us to DinDjarin66 (aka Fish Folk) playing late night blitz chess vs. the whole brave new world. 6 min video. "I can bring you in warm . . . or I can bring you in cold."

I am one of those people who wants to research in depth anything that interests them in the first place, so bear with with as I explain all the things I'm interested in:

• Cello. I started playing in 6th grade. I do take lessons besides school, and have entered into a number of competitions, recitals, and programs. I am really competitive, so I usually end up with a high chair in the youth orchestras program that I am in, and I (not to brag) have gotten perfect scores on all of my solo festival performances.
  • Ecology. Not necessarily a class or something, I just like researching and learning about many different animals and habitats on my own time. My main interests change every few years. For example, when I was around three to four years old it was dinosaurs, and then it changed to four-legged artiodactyls such as deer, antelope, and gazelles when I was five and up. Back from second grade to sixth grade I was really into guinea pigs (I kept a few at home they are great pets). When they passed away when I was in 7th and 8th grade, I started to get into fish and aquatic organisms. I am still in this stage. But every year, besides my main interest, I like learning about other "side topics" that I am interested, but aren't really a main focus of my time. I will read articles and look up different things about them, but this interests wears away after a month or so. For example, last year, besides freshwater fish and aquariums, I enjoyed dinosaurs of the cretaceous period, especially those from Alaska (I usually have a dinosaur side-topic every year), the mammoth steppe and its remarkable similarities to the African Savanna biome, fur seals of South Georgia island, and the Amazon rainforest. So given that I like so many animal-related subjects, it can be assumed correctly that I enjoy going to zoos, aquariums (oceanariums), botanical gardens (added bonus if they have koi lol), birdwatching, nature walks, etc.
  • Star Wars: Yeah I like Star Wars a lot. My favorite movies are Revenge of the Sith (episode III), Return of the Jedi (episode VI) and Rogue One, but the clone wars series is my favorite Star Wars overall. Favorite characters: Anakin, Ahsoka, Luke, Cal Kestis, Palpatine, Grievous. As noted before, I like researching everything I enjoy, so Star Wars is not exception. I like learning about the different vehicles, technologies, and civilizations of Star Wars, even though they make no sense. Other notable movies that I like are the Marvel movies and the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
  • Other interests of mine that don't take up a lot of my life include Cross Country (I ran in 7th and 8th grade), Science Olympiad (particularly ecology-related events like herpetology or ornithology, but also Water Quality, Paleontology, Geology), history (especially World War II), among other things.

20210201_123633.jpg.869278e9b9a6061e699276ebfff583ec.jpg

As you can see here, I think that my bookshelf is a good representation of my interests as a whole. It is a large mixture of field guides, encyclopedias, care guides, pocket books, and other informational content. The only fiction books are the Warriors series by Erin Hunter, among some other novels that I read in my free time. As my teacher back in elementary school would put it, "he needs to learn to read more fiction!"

Edit: I don't know why there is a college algebra book on my shelf I'm guessing my mom put it there lol.

Edited by CorydorasEthan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CorydorasEthan said:

I am one of those people who wants to research in depth anything that interests them in the first place, so bear with with as I explain all the things I'm interested in:

• Cello. I started playing in 6th grade. I do take lessons besides school, and have entered into a number of competitions, recitals, and programs. I am really competitive, so I usually end up with a high chair in the youth orchestras program that I am in, and I (not to brag) have gotten perfect scores on all of my solo festival performances.
  • Ecology. Not necessarily a class or something, I just like researching and learning about many different animals and habitats on my own time. My main interests change every few years. For example, when I was around three to four years old it was dinosaurs, and then it changed to four-legged artiodactyls such as deer, antelope, and gazelles when I was five and up. Back from second grade to sixth grade I was really into guinea pigs (I kept a few at home they are great pets). When they passed away when I was in 7th and 8th grade, I started to get into fish and aquatic organisms. I am still in this stage. But every year, besides my main interest, I like learning about other "side topics" that I am interested, but aren't really a main focus of my time. I will read articles and look up different things about them, but this interests wears away after a month or so. For example, last year, besides freshwater fish and aquariums, I enjoyed dinosaurs of the cretaceous period, especially those from Alaska (I usually have a dinosaur side-topic every year), the mammoth steppe and its remarkable similarities to the African Savanna biome, fur seals of South Georgia island, and the Amazon rainforest. So given that I like so many animal-related subjects, it can be assumed correctly that I enjoy going to zoos, aquariums (oceanariums), botanical gardens (added bonus if they have koi lol), birdwatching, nature walks, etc.
  • Star Wars: Yeah I like Star Wars a lot. My favorite movies are Revenge of the Sith (episode III), Return of the Jedi (episode VI) and Rogue One, but the clone wars series is my favorite Star Wars overall. Favorite characters: Anakin, Ahsoka, Luke, Cal Kestis, Palpatine, Grievous. As noted before, I like researching everything I enjoy, so Star Wars is not exception. I like learning about the different vehicles, technologies, and civilizations of Star Wars, even though they make no sense. Other notable movies that I like are the Marvel movies and the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
  • Other interests of mine that don't take up a lot of my life include Cross Country (I ran in 7th and 8th grade), Science Olympiad (particularly ecology-related events like herpetology or ornithology, but also Water Quality, Paleontology, Geology), history (especially World War II), among other things.

20210201_123633.jpg.869278e9b9a6061e699276ebfff583ec.jpg

As you can see here, I think that my bookshelf is a good representation of my interests as a whole. It is a large mixture of field guides, encyclopedias, care guides, pocket books, and other informational content. The only fiction books are the Warriors series by Erin Hunter, among some other novels that I read in my free time. As my teacher back in elementary school would put it, "he needs to learn to read more fiction!"

Nice, I play the cello too! I'm currently in my school's 8th Grade Level orchestra.  My other hobbies include playing video games, watching anime, and studying/analyzing poetry.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HardeepTheLondoner said:

Gunner? Nooo! I’m a Manc, through and through😉 My favourites are probably Bruno & De Gea.

Oo I’m sure you weren’t happy with Messi’s contract leak yesterday-Massive wages😳

I went to the Camp Nou not long ago, sadly my bad luck meant Messi was injured for the game! It was Barcelona vs Valencia, great game 🙂

Yeah... Barca & Messidependencia... 

@HardeepTheLondoner, don't forget that the English invented the term soccer, from Association Football!

It was nice to see a personal shoutout from the press today. 😉

"Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has urged his team to become more streetwise if they want to stay in this season's Premier League title race."

I'm looking forward to seeing the debut of Amad Diallo.

Edited by Streetwise
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Streetwise said:

@HardeepTheLondoner, don't forget that the English invented the term soccer, from Association Football!

It was nice to see a personal shoutout from the press today. 😉

"Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has urged his team to become more streetwise if they want to stay in this season's Premier League title race."

I'm looking forward to seeing the debut of Amad Diallo.

Now that is something I didn’t know😉

Honestly, I feel like the more I think about it the more I think we’re only in a title race this season because of the nature of this season. Either way I’m happy! I’ll be off my nut if Utd take the league this year😂

I feel Diallo is a solid signing. He scored against the Liverpool U23s a few days ago so that’s always a good feeling for the United faithful😉

Sad to see Rojo go however...Always liked him.

• Like 1

@quirkylemon103 I used to love climbing (though I was never very good) but now I have a neck issue. Maybe I’ll be able to get back into it if I use those glasses that let you see up without moving your head? Also I loooove Harry Potter books 1-3. 3 is definitely my favorite.

@Fish Folk I love Ender’s Game! Great book.

I also used to play violin before my neck problem. Hopefully I’ll be able to get back to that one day too!

Other hobbies... board games (the intense nerdy kind like Agricola and Dominion, not the normal kind like clue and scrabble), creative writing (mostly fantasy), and baking. @Jennifer VI could never do those early hours but I love bringing amazing desserts to friends’ houses! Pre COVID at least...

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Hobbit said:

@quirkylemon103 I used to love climbing (though I was never very good) but now I have a neck issue. Maybe I’ll be able to get back into it if I use those glasses that let you see up without moving your head? Also I loooove Harry Potter books 1-3. 3 is definitely my favorite.

@Fish Folk I love Ender’s Game! Great book.

I also used to play violin before my neck problem. Hopefully I’ll be able to get back to that one day too!

Other hobbies... board games (the intense nerdy kind like Agricola and Dominion, not the normal kind like clue and scrabble), creative writing (mostly fantasy), and baking. @Jennifer VI could never do those early hours but I love bringing amazing desserts to friends’ houses! Pre COVID at least...

its been so long since I've gone climbing

• Like 2

On 2/1/2021 at 12:58 PM, Pakal said:

Nice, I play the cello too! I'm currently in my school's 8th Grade Level orchestra.  My other hobbies include playing video games, watching anime, and studying/analyzing poetry.

Wow nice! Has your school orchestra gone to any national competitions yet? My orchestra teacher was very competitive and she really liked to push us to new levels. She had us go to a number of district and state competitions/workshops and then we went to Orlando to compete in a big national one where we won second place. Now that I am in high school, the freshman orchestra I am in is really kind of boring compared to the middle school class. At least its less work, because I have a lot more homework this year!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CorydorasEthan said:

Wow nice! Has your school orchestra gone to any national competitions yet? My orchestra teacher was very competitive and she really liked to push us to new levels. She had us go to a number of district and state competitions/workshops and then we went to Orlando to compete in a big national one where we won second place. Now that I am in high school, the freshman orchestra I am in is really kind of boring compared to the middle school class. At least its less work, because I have a lot more homework this year!

Kind of random recollection . . . I think that there's a young aquarist in Australia (?) who also plays Cello. Lazarus the Fish Boy. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CorydorasEthan said:

I've played in 1 state competition before but other than that, my instructor doesn't really take our orchestra to competitions because she's laid back and doesn't want to put stress on us.

• Like 1