Deficiency or algae?

Trying to determine if my crypts have algae on them or if they are trying to tell me they need more of something.  Tank is brand new and they’ve been in it about a month. I’m a plant and fish rookie. Also, one has long black hair all around the leaves??2740ABF4-176F-4C2D-B2E8-936DB4122E5B.jpeg.d645c5632eb04695c7fda71e0e14954f.jpeg

1271A99A-66C8-4DAB-82B6-FBF60F0FEC94.jpeg

3B0B89F2-86E8-48AF-9D35-880AB252B319.jpeg

Hi @Phillip

The first picture appears to be algae, hard to tell from the picture but possibly staghorn algae.  The second and third pictures show what could be algae but also could be diatoms.  If you gently rub the leaves between your fingers and the 'brown' rubs off it is diatoms.  If it pretty much doesn't rub off it is algae.  Diatoms are fairly common, especially in newer tanks.  -Roy

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Seattle_Aquarist said:

Hi @Phillip

The first picture appears to be algae, hard to tell from the picture but possibly staghorn algae.  The second and third pictures show what could be algae but also could be diatoms.  If you gently rub the leaves between your fingers and the 'brown' rubs off it is diatoms.  If it pretty much doesn't rub off it is algae.  Diatoms are fairly common, especially in newer tanks.  -Roy

So it did wipe off of the other 2 leaves. Guess I need to go research diatoms now and see what they are 🤣

3 hours ago, James Black said:

Phillip, algae is very common, your doing nothing wrong. It can start to hurt your plants when you have an outburst of algae. The algae will consume all the nutrients the plants want. @Seattle_Aquaristhas some good tips on getting rid of it. Personally I wouldn't use easy carbon.

Would you use something else besides the easy carbon? Or just no algae treatment at all right now?

11 hours ago, Phillip said:

So it did wipe off of the other 2 leaves. Guess I need to go research diatoms now and see what they are 🤣

Hi @Phillip, I find the easiest way to control diatoms in my tanks is by having some Otocinclus catfish in the tank.  I usually have one catfish per 10 - 20 gallons.  Otocinclus eat diatoms like it is candy.  They are nocturnal so you may not see them working when the lights are on but typically in my tanks within a week I can see a noticeable reduction in the amount of diatoms in my tank.  If the Otocinclus eat all the diatoms and start to look a little skinny, I add 1/2 algae wafer to my tank once or twice a week just before the lights go out in the evening.  Hope this helps! -Roy