Preserving brine shrimp?

Machete

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

I feed baby brine shrimp out of the cone they hatched in over the course of about 8 - 12 hours.

I dump any remaining shrimp out down the sink at 12 hours and start another batch.

My preference is to have bbs that have just hatched.

I put them in a specimen container I had. Would the be good there until tonight? Do they need aeration?

Just now, Machete said:

I put them in a specimen container I had. Would the be good there until tonight? Do they need aeration?

If I don't aerate mine, they sink to bottom and suffocate. But if the density isn't that great they will last quite a while and even begin to grow.

• Like 1

I got on tonight to ask this very question!  For some reason, I thought that I had heard you could refrigerate them, so when I finished my first batch of BBS yesterday, I put them into a tupperware and stuck them in the fridge.  This morning, they were a layer on the bottom of the tupperware.  Lesson learned. 

I’ll use refrigerated bbs for 24 hours but no more. Even if they’re in a layer on the bottom, I think they’re still okay for the fish to eat. Often they’re still wiggling. The cold slows them down but doesn’t necessarily kill them.

Other than that, if I have a lot of extra that I can’t use in 24 hours, I’ll freeze them in ice cube trays.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've stored them in the fridge for almost two days. Personally, it makes it easier that they all clump in the bottom, I take a bulb syringe and suck them off the bottom with minimal salt water and dispense them right into the waiting fishies mouths. @ADMWNDSR83, it might seem like they're dead but if you look at them really closely, or under a microscope, or if you let them warm up a bit, you should be able to see them moving a little. And when you feed them you'll definitely see the fish still devour them.

Cory has many videos on bbs, and this one from Irene specifically talks about refrigerating:

• Thanks 2

I routinely refrigerate half of my BBS for 24 hours. I harvest, sieve and rinse, feed one half to fish, put the other half into fresh brine, and into the fridge they go.  Next day, they are alive and well albeit a bit larger and a bit less nutritious.

Actually, I just looked at the batch that I left in the fridge for 48 hours, for the first time as an experiment. They are fine, mostly at the surface, moving around, definitely larger in size. Here are freshly taken photos of the refrigerated container and the contents. 

BBS-container.jpg.9fe1276c74d4ef343394aae7530cf2ff.jpg

BBS-side-view.jpg.ac474064f0a13e5e2b96972e936ef8e6.jpg

BBS-top-view.jpg.59246bd75d20e2444e10aca18bd4ee03.jpg

Edited by Fonske
  • Like 3

If you don't want to refrigerate the BBS to feed later, you can freeze. I will hatch more than I know I will be feeding, strain, feed my fish and then I take the rest, rinse, and put in a ice cube tray. I got one of the silicone trays that has small cubes that are about the same size as the cubes you can buy at the LFS of frozen foods. 

• Like 3