Jonsie

ph:7.5

Nitrates: good

Hardness: low for a goldfish

Nitrite:0

Ammonia: 0,009

KH/Buffer: low

Water Temperature: 66

Hi, I have my fish sick. Symptoms are lack of appetite, very stopped at the bottom of the aquarium, always opening and closing the mouth, swollen, black coloring on the abdomen, shrunken fins ... I have already treated with esha 2000 and esha hexamite but it didn't work. Do you have any idea what the problem is? THX ( sry for my english)

video: https://streamable.com/schuq4

Edited by Jonsie

It looks bloated in the vid  it could be dropsy I would treat with aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons  but I am not 100% on it being dropsy but salt should help in the mean time your ammonia a bit high a would do 50% water change be treating  with more meds

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Colu said:

It looks bloated in the vid  it could be dropsy I would treat with aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons  but I am not 100% on it being dropsy but salt should help in the mean time your ammonia a bit high a would do 50% water change be treating  with more meds

I am already treating with 100% natural sea salt, 1 Tbsp Salt for 3 Gallons of Water,maybe I need to increase the concentration of salt.I did an ammonia test with sera and says that this amount of ammonia is harmless. I am wrong? 

Can I treat with medications at the same time that I have the salt in the aquarium? Thank you for your help

sera test.jpg

Edited by Jonsie

4 hours ago, AdamTill said:

Typically black is indicating damage that’s at least trying to heal. Often ammonia burn, parasite damage etc. How long have you had the fish?

I have this fish close to 2 months. I have 3 goldfish comets and 1 of them is very aggressive, I think this is what caused the fish to stress and lowered immunity. Thank you for your help

From my experience with comets, they’re really really hardy fish. Generally they do great in at least pairs more the merrier but will need huge tanks. I would suggest bumping the temp to 82-84F. It makes them heal faster. They react badly with too much salt. I used 2 tbsps per 10 gallon with 25% water change every day for comets. But at warmer temperatures they’ll eat and dirty the tank like crazy. I would have suggested prazipro and salt. Generally they stop eating due to internal parasites. Salt would have treated for dropsy and prazipro would have taken out the parasites and warmer temps would have helped to heal faster. I am so sorry for your loss. Wish I had seen this earlier. If your other comets show such symptoms I have a feeling this might work for you. 

18 minutes ago, Ken Shan said:

From my experience with comets, they’re really really hardy fish. Generally they do great in at least pairs more the merrier but will need huge tanks. I would suggest bumping the temp to 82-84F. It makes them heal faster. They react badly with too much salt. I used 2 tbsps per 10 gallon with 25% water change every day for comets. But at warmer temperatures they’ll eat and dirty the tank like crazy. I would have suggested prazipro and salt. Generally they stop eating due to internal parasites. Salt would have treated for dropsy and prazipro would have taken out the parasites and warmer temps would have helped to heal faster. I am so sorry for your loss. Wish I had seen this earlier. If your other comets show such symptoms I have a feeling this might work for you. 

My other 2 comets are doing good. Ty for your help. I did treat  with esha hexamita and didint do anything. I dont know if i could save him .

Edited by Jonsie

18 minutes ago, Colu said:

That level of salt would no kill you goldfish

I dont know man, when i did put the salt he instatly freak out and die, maybe he was too sick to handle more salt idk wtv nothing i can do now. Ty for the help guys

Edited by Jonsie

Just now, Colu said:

Yes  that what has caused the fish have a reaction and die 

.....ye make sense... i was so tired that i didint think right. After i put more salt i instatly change 50% but was too late. he problably would die anyway but i killed him...

19 minutes ago, Colu said:
19 minutes ago, Colu said:

Do u think he could survive? he wasnt eating for 5 days, no defecated for atleast 1 week, he was just sitting on bottom of aquarium

Edited by Jonsie

Its 50/50 sometimes they get better sometimes they don't there are  a lot disease in fish that we no little about and can not cure if very difficult to no with  a 100% certainty what  disease fish are suffering from most of the time all we can do is treat the symptoms

• Like 1

Jonsie, from my experience with goldfish sometimes you get a fish that at some point is just going to have issues.  Breeders usually try to cull out the weak fry and sometimes missed the weak fry last longer and make it to you.  When it comes to selective breeding in goldfish there is a sort of a compaction of their organs to get a desired shape, it works for some and not for others in the same batch.   Don't take it too personally.  As a rule of thumb I always added a generous tablespoon of kosher salt per 5 gallons every time I did a water change. High salt treatments are usually for external issues and usually a dip or short exposure.  

Goldfish eat prolifically and generate a lot of waste but they are also somewhat tolerant of these conditions compared to other fish.  But they do, do better in clean water.  But it seems your water parameters were in check.  A well rounded diet helps goldfish, duckweed or other leafy vegetables help a lot too.  And it is rather important I've found, that you want to soak your dry food as often as you can.  They tend to eat fast and gulp air which can lead to problems.  Sometimes bloodworms can help alleviate this.  Goldfish are horrible beggars for food don't be afraid to under feed them because usually we over feed them.  Don't be afraid to over filtrate ie bigger than suggested filters with goldfish the usual tank suggestions for filters are based on smaller community fish.    Also I've found that Dropsy can be very common with goldfish.  Also know the full growth size of the species of goldfish you keep because some of them can get rather large and quickly outgrow their tank size, when you have several of them.  

Goldfish are very cool and often underrated or dismissed by some aquarium keepers. heck they even used as feeder fish.  Don't get discouraged but embrace the joy of keeping goldfish.  I think they're among the fishes with the most personality.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jonsie said:

My fish died. Yesterday I gave 2 spoons of Salt. And today I gave 2 more tablespoons of salt, he reacted badly .... 
Did I give too much? Im so depressed ...

salt.jpg

Sorry for your loss.  Salt can help with certain situations but too much for too long can have ill effects as well.   We all make mistakes, more is not always the answer.  Each kind of fish comes with its own set of challenges it takes time to get it right, losing fish in the beginning of aquaria goes with the territory, you'll get better at it.  

5 hours ago, RealAlan said:

Sorry for your loss.  Salt can help with certain situations but too much for too long can have ill effects as well.   We all make mistakes, more is not always the answer.  Each kind of fish comes with its own set of challenges it takes time to get it right, losing fish in the beginning of aquaria goes with the territory, you'll get better at it.  

I have 2 more goldfish and they are very healthy, they gonna live for very long, i learned alot with that bad experience. I have a stopped tank with 80 gallons and a new fluval 407 that i havent used yet, i was waiting for the fish to recover to give them a new home. Thanks for tryng to help guys

• Like 1