Endlers with guppies problem

Ohad

I think I know what the answer will be and it's very annoying.

I thought that it will be cool to have 3 male guppies and 2 endlers together in my 8 gallon tank . Sadly the two endlers decided that they either in love or hate my best guppy . They follow him non stop driving him nuts to the point that he has to go hide behind the filter .

P.s if the solution is what I think and I need to get rid of the endlers what is a good way to catch them? They are super fast and hard to catch 

Other than the solution you're dreading, the next option would be more plants, more hiding spots, etc. You could also try a little time out for one of the two species. Another option is, sometimes, more fish. Sometimes additional guppies will help disperse the love, if your tank can support it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ohad said:

what is a good way to catch them? They are super fast and hard to catch 

I toss a bit of powdery floating food into the tank, and scoop them out from the surface with a transparent plastic/glass container. Something like a betta cup or drinking glass. Works really well for guppies,  endlers, and many other fishes, e.g. danios.

Particularly wily individuals can be coaxed into the container with a net, hand, or any object they are afraid of.

• Like 1

There are two other male guppies and I do have lots of plants and hiding places but as soon as he start exploring these two endlers following him and flaring with all kind of dances , so makes me think that they are in love with the poor thing.  He goes back to hiding and get a break but I am not sure how much of a life quality that would be 😟 may have to return these two 

15 hours ago, Ohad said:

I think I know what the answer will be and it's very annoying.

I thought that it will be cool to have 3 male guppies and 2 endlers together in my 8 gallon tank . Sadly the two endlers decided that they either in love or hate my best guppy . They follow him non stop driving him nuts to the point that he has to go hide behind the filter .

P.s if the solution is what I think and I need to get rid of the endlers what is a good way to catch them? They are super fast and hard to catch 

Do you have any female guppies or endlers in the Aquarium? If not, having females outnumber the males should keep their attention away from the other males a little, also using plenty of plants in the tank to have line of sight blocks should help too

• Like 1

My guppy-endler hybrids can be caught by hand when feeding, but true Endler's livebearer males are extemely hard to catch in a large aquarium. In any size aquarium, use flake food to entice them and then quickly scoop them up with a net.

But I don't think taking them out is necessary. Just add a couple more guppies. Endler's livebearer males usually chase other fish that look or seem similar to female Endler's livebearers (basically most livebearers that are bigger than them).

• Like 1

I have a sad update , I am new to the hobby .

Apparently my best guppy was sick... it was hard to spot since he was so pretty , but now when thinking about it he was slower and hanging at the top more then the rest .

Even with cycled tank , perfect water parameters he did not survive the fist 48 hours from the store to my tank . He passed away last night .

Now everything is calm in the tank I don't see any signs of the other fish being sick they are active, nipping algae and eating well . The endlers stoped flaring and look calm and playful . 

Sad story especially because I work so hard for two months to get this tank to the best condition to my ability for fish . But that's that.

Now the two endlers and two guppies all get along and even play with each other while before the endlers kept to themselves in one side and refused to get closer to the guppies other then flaring at the sick one.

• Sad 2

As far as catching fish goes, I have always found the 2 net method to be the easiest.

One net as large as you can fit in the tank, usually at least 10", the other smaller, around 6". Set the larger net up in one of the front corners, typically hold it with your non-dominant hand as you will be doing less maneuvering with the large net. 

Then you use the smaller net to coax the fish to swim into the larger net, and done.

One key is to use slow movements, a cautious fish is much easier to catch than a terrified one, plus you don't want to give it a heart attack or accidentally squish it again the glass or something.

Of course this gets more difficult the more plants you have in the tank.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ohad said:

Apparently my best guppy was sick... it was hard to spot since he was so pretty , but now when thinking about it he was slower and hanging at the top more then the rest .

Even with cycled tank , perfect water parameters he did not survive the fist 48 hours from the store to my tank . He passed away last night .

Now everything is calm in the tank I don't see any signs of the other fish being sick they are active, nipping algae and eating well . The endlers stoped flaring and look calm and playful . 

Sad story especially because I work so hard for two months to get this tank to the best condition to my ability for fish . But that's that.

Now the two endlers and two guppies all get along and even play with each other while before the endlers kept to themselves in one side and refused to get closer to the guppies other then flaring at the sick one.

Sorry to hear this. Don't worry, every fishkeeper goes through something like this when they first start the hobby.

One question, where are you buying fish from?

3 hours ago, Ohad said:

Based on how you described him as being sluggish/slow, your guppy may have died due to a lack of oxygen. Do you have air stones or a sponge filter? 

Edited by Pakal

I do have a sponge filter and lots of plants and a air bubble inside the filter . 

I got the guppy from a very good store I trust in NYC called pacific aquarium . They are in business for years and years and are very knowledgeable . I don't think it's something they did wrong I know that they quarantine and everything

• Like 1