Medkow74

I'm going to be switching my 72 gallon bow front from a Mbuna tank to a community tank. Looking for some advice. I'm using Natures Ocean Cichlid sand as substrate, can I keep it or should I switch. I'm looking to put Angelfish, Cory's, and torn between Bosmani rainbow or some type of Tetra.

Second issue. I'm currently running a Fluval FX6 and 406. Obviously I won't need both. I've always wanted to try to run just sponge filters in the tank but not sure if the bioload would be too much?

Thanks in advance.

I just switched from a south / Central American cichlids to a community tank and love it. I never used that sand but wouldn’t see why it wouldn’t work. As far as filters sponge they would be enough you just obviously don’t get as good of mechanical filtration. I use a fluval 306 cannister and a sponge filter on my 75 gallon and is more than adequate. Have fun , I loved going to the fish store and looking for something other than cichlids 

• Thanks 1

This does all help. I am going to use live plants but of course it will take time for them to grow in and fill out.

So this leads to another question. Anyway to keep this sand after removing? My thought would be that it'll eventually stink to high heaven after the live bacteria in it and the BB it's built up dies? Or should I just trash it? It was expensive.

5 minutes ago, Medkow74 said:

This does all help. I am going to use live plants but of course it will take time for them to grow in and fill out.

So this leads to another question. Anyway to keep this sand after removing? My thought would be that it'll eventually stink to high heaven after the live bacteria in it and the BB it's built up dies? Or should I just trash it? It was expensive.

Sounds like a good excuse to set up another tank 😁 just saying 😂

I keep different substrates ( sand and gravel) I used in other tanks in 5 gallon buckets for when I want to switch stuff up or set up another tank but it’s up to you 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Medkow74 said:

I would keep it in 5 gallon buckets with lids in your garage or basement. I have not had problems with the substrate smelling, but I have never tried it with sand.  You might as well try to save it and if it smells bad you could probably sell it on craigslist or at a local aquarium club.

• Thanks 1

i wouldn't go to the trouble of changing subtrate.... you said it, was expansive, is a lot of trouble, will disrupt all the good bacteria fauna you already have and anyway doesn't make a real difference, and angel and cory's will adapt just fine to it, or you can get some wood in the tank to buffer it out.

• Thanks 1

It tests at a KH of 7 and GH of 16. But I also add Malawi Lake Buffer, Cichlid salt and Malawi trace elements. 

My other community tank that I add nothing to is KH 3 and GH 6. 

Maybe I'll do some water changes and see where it goes to naturally.

Forgot to say PH stays at 7.6

Edited by Medkow74
Added more information
  • Like 1