Dropsy, Bloated, or Normal?

MaxM

Hi All - I'm concerned about my fish. I'm pretty new in the hobby and am not sure what healthy fish are supposed to look like when they mature. Many of my fish seem to look blotted to me, especially my female swordtails and my gourami. I took my swordtails out for two weeks to medicate them in a QT, but there was very little difference in appearance afterwards. The only symptom is that they look pregnant, but they have looked that way for months. They are not lethargic, nor show pine cone scales, and their feces seem normal color and normal size. They have normal appetite as well. One person I spoke to about this felt that they probably have dead babies inside and will eventually die as a result. 

The problem is that I bought a Opaline Gourami about two months ago and she now seems possibly bloated as well, albeit, less than the others. My next thought then was that maybe I'm overfeeding them and they are suffering from blotted stomachs. However, part of my treatment of the swordtails had that in mind and I starved them 3 days and then feed them peas for a while. Furthermore, all three fish seem to poop normally. Regardless, I cut back on feeding them to only twice a day instead of three times.

The question I have is whether there is a real problem or are they perfectly normal and I'm making something out of nothing?

Here are some pics. Sorry if they are not clear enough.

P.S. - I also don't know if my danios look normal. IMG-20210131-WA0003.jpg.85d88b872683aae4cd94f53a9df6f47b.jpgIMG-20210131-WA0008.jpg.7b9756e3ca0ad69d4e65717bf59a0186.jpgIMG-20210131-WA0007.jpg.f835f4d4c7105edf2ddf905a243af73f.jpgIMG-20210131-WA0002.jpg.642c8b93dd9c733e868e0c216123f90a.jpgIMG-20210131-WA0005.jpg.1afa89eebc9bd9646a7c0161f0d4ebb0.jpgIMG-20210131-WA0004.jpg.b818c4288dacd08fea4210e0bad4f215.jpgIMG-20210131-WA0002.jpg.642c8b93dd9c733e868e0c216123f90a.jpg

@ColuUsually around 78 degrees Fahrenheit. Rarely have problems with Nitrites. Ammonia sometimes starts to build, but I never let it get to a dangerous level. I have a tester in the tank (see pic above) that changes colors when Ammonia starts to build. As soon as it changes color from yellow I change the water.  I do a 25-50% water change ever week (depending what my water parameters are at the time). I'm pretty much on top of the water parameters, so I don't believe that is a factor.

Perhaps that is the beginning of "pinecone". The problem is that all the pictures on line are serious cases, so it's are to tell what early signs look like.

@Colu The problem I'm facing is that I have a common pleco in that tank. If I add salt to the tank it may hurt the pleco. My QT is now operating as a tank for my wife. If I go out and buy a QT tank, I can only afford a small one. I'm worried that adding three large fish to a small tank that hasn't been cycled may spike and kill the fish. Any advice? 

Buy a bottle of Prime and do water changes in a small quarantine tank. That will be a temporary home for them so it shouldn’t be too bad, provided you can test and change water accordingly. 

How big is the tank? Common Plecos get huge and poop a lot too😜

4 hours ago, MaxM said:

@Colu The problem I'm facing is that I have a common pleco in that tank. If I add salt to the tank it may hurt the pleco. My QT is now operating as a tank for my wife. If I go out and buy a QT tank, I can only afford a small one. I'm worried that adding three large fish to a small tank that hasn't been cycled may spike and kill the fish. Any advice? 

• Like 1