Floating plants my fish won’t shred?

Clovis

I’ve tried water lettuce and one other plant I can’t remember the name of and my fish seems to shred the roots and it’s just a floating graveyard of plant bits after a few days. I only have guppies and zebra danios swimming. There are few Cory’s and plecos in the bottom. 

I am assuming it’s the danios doing the damage?

Is this normal? Is there a floating plant they won’t destroy? 

I have guppies that do the same thing. I ended up just dumping a ton of water lettuce in to give them multiple targets instead of always picking on the same plant repeatedly. As far as other plants you could try, you may go with amazon frogbit. The root thickness is about the same as water lettuce but generally grows longer if you dont mind the roots growing nearly down to your substrate. That would give them more to munch on. Or you may possibly go with giant duckweed, in an effort that they could propagate faster than they could tear it up. Regular duckweed propagates faster than the giant variety, but that stuff gets everywhere and ends up just making a mess in my opinion. At the end of the day when it comes to floaters and guppies you are sorta just buying expensive fish food. No amount of dietary changes or increase in feeding sessions i made seemed to stop them from picking at it. My little piggies are slowly but surely whittling away my big batch of water lettuce. 

• Like 1