sparkling gourami hatchlings

Tetra Guy

I noticed hatchlings this morning in my 10g community tank (the recent thread on full moon breeding got me looking closer...🤔)  Pretty sure they are from a pair of sparkling gouramis, as I noticed a small bubble nest recently. This is the third time they have bred, but the fry didn’t survive. What can i do to help them this time? Total noob at breeding here! Sorry for poor photo, phone won’t focus on an object this small. TIA! 

ACE877F1-4ED4-4B76-91E0-C153553DB77B.jpeg

Edited by Tetra Guy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Tetra Guy said:

what do you feed them?

If you don’t have green water, you can make your own paramecium/infusoria culture with some veggies and aquarium water. That’s how I feed my gourami fry.

I use these instructions.

https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Infusoria

A few caveats:

- They say you’ll have infusoria after 3-4 days, but it usually takes my cultures about a week to get the best concentration.

- They recommend throwing out the culture after two days of use. I never do that—I use it until it’s basically gone.

- Microgreens or small leaf salad mixes are by far the least smelly veggie to do this with. They still stink at first but the other veggies (spinach, cabbage, green beans) REALLY stink! 😝

@Hobbit I would agree it takes some time to get the best yields. I started a culture about 3 days ago and I have a little concentration. But have had to use it at the low concentration right now just to get some to a hitch hiker fry. 

I would recommend putting a light directly on it 24hrs. It seems to help speed the process up. I started one culture and another 2 days later then put a light on them and the 2nd culture is caught up already to the first. I am just using a daylight led bulb with a desk lamp. Would have used a window but it has been cloudy here for a few days. 

1 hour ago, Hobbit said:

If you don’t have green water, you can make your own paramecium/infusoria culture with some veggies and aquarium water. That’s how I feed my gourami fry.

I use these instructions.

https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Infusoria

A few caveats:

- They say you’ll have infusoria after 3-4 days, but it usually takes my cultures about a week to get the best concentration.

- They recommend throwing out the culture after two days of use. I never do that—I use it until it’s basically gone.

- Microgreens or small leaf salad mixes are by far the least smelly veggie to do this with. They still stink at first but the other veggies (spinach, cabbage, green beans) REALLY stink! 😝

greg sage uses dried duckweed