Feeding Fish Live Black Worms

Fish Folk

18 minutes ago, quirkylemon103 said:

how big are the worms? and will pygmy cories and neon tetras eat them

Black worms (actually rather reddish looking) can vary in size -- if you cut them in half, you get two! -- but on average are probably about 1.5-2 inches long. But it's surprising how many a tiny fish can pack in! Yes, smaller tetras will eat them -- our tiny glowlight tetras demolish them, as do our bloodfin tetras. Our baby bronze corys will inhale them too -- yes! 

On the whole, we'll probably make an order once a month, enough to feed selected tanks for a week. But we don't want our fish to get solely dialed into just one kind of food too much. I'll say this: discus turn into superheroes on these things. I'e never seen those fish look better than when they're hammering on the black worms.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, James Black said:

Where do you all get these black worms? Does petsmart sell them? I don't beleive any of my local fish stores sell them. Perhaps theres a website that you order from?

We just asked our LFS to order them. They order all stock from CA. It comes overnight. There's a place @Daniel gets Black Worms from that's in Eastern US. Another LFS orders from some place in PA. I was really impressed with the worms we got from CA. There used to be this guy "Dan" who was super well-known in the hobby for selling black worms. He was in CA. I remember reading a lot on Chicago Cichlid Association websites about his stock years back. 

If you have an LFS, just go in and request that they check with their suppliers. The key is getting them fast. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, James Black said:

Where do you all get these black worms? Does petsmart sell them? I don't beleive any of my local fish stores sell them. Perhaps theres a website that you order from?

I have ordered them from Eastern Aquatics for the last 15 years and have been very happy with the quality of the worms. My LFS sells them also, but not in the volume I need.

As @Fish Folk mentioned, speed of delivery is the key so mine are always shipped UPS Next Day.