Has Anyone Done This?

Frank

It's kind of backwards. An undergravel filter is a biofilter more than mechanical and biofiltration is typically the last step in the filtering process. If you're using a sump and an undergravel filter you'd be wisest to use the undergravel filter in a reverse flow configuration where the water coming back to the tank from the sump, where it's undergone mechanical filtration and is physically clean, is then forced up through the bed of the gravel where the bacteria living in the gravel can consume the dissolved ammonia, nitrites, etc.. This would also keep the gravel clean as water rising from the bottom through the gravel would sweep debris up and into circulation where the overflow could grab it and and send it to the sump where it would be removed mechanically. If you do it the way you propose there would be no place for physical debris to go other than down into the gravel and that would eventually clog the gravel. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, gardenman said:

It's kind of backwards. An undergravel filter is a biofilter more than mechanical and biofiltration is typically the last step in the filtering process. If you're using a sump and an undergravel filter you'd be wisest to use the undergravel filter in a reverse flow configuration where the water coming back to the tank from the sump, where it's undergone mechanical filtration and is physically clean, is then forced up through the bed of the gravel where the bacteria living in the gravel can consume the dissolved ammonia, nitrites, etc.. This would also keep the gravel clean as water rising from the bottom through the gravel would sweep debris up and into circulation where the overflow could grab it and and send it to the sump where it would be removed mechanically. If you do it the way you propose there would be no place for physical debris to go other than down into the gravel and that would eventually clog the gravel. 

It wouldn't be the first time I did things backwards...

My thought was to use water circulation to help gravity to settle out debris. I hate seeing the same piece of poop swirling around for two days. 

Thanks for the help!

1 minute ago, Frank said:

That potential issue would be prevented by using simple plumbing.

20210201_181339.jpg

The open top tee fitting would prevent the tank from overflowing, but a largely clogged gravel bed would render the gravel bed ineffective as a biofilter. Using a gravel bed as a mechanical filter could work, but then it's not as effective as a biofilter. Floating debris is best removed by a powerful HOB or canister filter. Even the effectiveness of the gravel bed as a mechanical filter would slow as the gravel bed clogged. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Frank said:

My thought was to use water circulation to help gravity to settle out debris. I hate seeing the same piece of poop swirling around for two days. 

If your goal is to settle out debris, than you might try powerheads on the UGF if you aren't using them already.

• Like 1