Discontinued Canister Filter

Nana Finopolis

I've been running an API Rena Filstar XP2 on my 40 gal. breeder for a few years.  They have been discontinued and I can no longer find the seal/O rings for them. I'd like to get a new filter anyway as I'm getting older and it's starting to be hard for me to bend down and handle the canister. My problem is that the tank is only about 2 1/4 inches away from the wall so a HOB wouldn't be feasible either, though that's what I would like to switch to. I thought about putting it on the end of the tank but I have a glass lid. I also considered sponge filters. It's pretty heavy on plants and currently, I have 20 ember tetras and 10 paleatus cories in there. Obviously, something will have to change. I thought maybe some of you might have a suggestion that I haven't thought of yet. 

Thinking out loud here, I guess I could do something different with the lid. The thought of moving the tank out from the wall scares me. It's been on vinyl for years and it's probably stuck there, lol. I also worry about cracking the tank. I'm not sure my husband and I could move it anyway.

Thanks in advance for any ideas you guys might have.

For your bio-load, with lots of plants, you would probably be fine with a pair of sponge filters.

This was a slim hang-on-back filter that I tested, and liked, if you choose to go that route:

I just measured, and you would need about two inches of clearance behind the tank to fit this particular model.

Edited by Streetwise

On 1/30/2021 at 7:08 PM, Streetwise said:

For your bio-load, with lots of plants, you would probably be fine with a pair of sponge filters.

This was a slim hang-on-back filter that I tested, and liked, if you choose to go that route:

I just measured, and you would need about two inches of clearance behind the tank to fit this particular model.

Thanks so much! I think I'll order one for now and run it along the canister for a awhile then maybe add another or sponge filter with it.

• Like 1