Fish shipping story--happy ending!

Brandy

I have been drooling over some cool guppies I saw online, but I have not been able to really find them anywhere but on Ebay, or in Thailand. I was to scared to spend the money to import them but I finally decided to take a shot on some that are probably first generation (or 10th?) americans. So I bit the bullet and ordered a trio. 

I got a tracking number, and cleared a 10 gallon, asked the seller for water parameters (VERY hard water) and brought the cycled tank up to as close as I could get while I anxiously waited.

The tracking number showed no progress for 8 days after they were supposed to be shipped, and I contacted the seller to find out if they actually were in a box somewhere, or if they never left. 

The seller gave me no information and supplied a new tracking number, so I assumed there was a goof and the fish were never actually shipped. 2 days later they showed up, healthy, fine, a little duller than the pictures and kind of skinny. I left a good review anyway, and started them on a round of levamasole immediately, and offered baby brine which got them eating. They perked up, but still seemed small and duller than I had expected. 

Three days after that I got a second trio, this one was GORGEOUS, and one of the females had dropped in the bag and not eaten the fry. Wait...what?

The first set was in the mail for TEN DAYS. Aside from being hungry they seem fine. I am flat out amazed. I LOVE GUPPIES.

So for the record, I ended up with 6 fish + about 15 fry for the price of 3. I have contacted the seller and offered to send more money--obviously. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That's so amazing that the first trio survived 10 days in transit! Guppies are just the best.

I'm not surprised that the second set seems duller. It always seems when a seller has to replace livestock, you never get exactly what you originally ordered. At least, that's been my experience. Hopefully I'm wrong and they color up super nice with some more lovin'.

11 minutes ago, OceanTruth said:

That's so amazing that the first trio survived 10 days in transit! Guppies are just the best.

I'm not surprised that the second set seems duller. It always seems when a seller has to replace livestock, you never get exactly what you originally ordered. At least, that's been my experience. Hopefully I'm wrong and they color up super nice with some more lovin'.

No the second set was even brighter and more beautiful. I suspect the 10 days dulled the first set down. Maybe with good food they will recover. 

Also, @Nana Finopolis this is my first time ordering guppies, but I keep and breed mutts--my original 5 now number over a hundred. I have lost maybe 2 in that time. I keep them in soft water, and unheated tanks. They are indestructible.

Edited by Brandy
  • Like 1