Cyanobacteria and fry

Robin

I have 5 baby jewel cichlids in a breeder box. They are doing really well. I feed them bbs twice a day. They are 14 days old. I have Cyanobacteria in this same tank. I've been doing small water changes and cleaning up as much of it out of the tank as possible but I'd like to medicate the tank with Maracyn without moving the fry. I'm just not sure if it would hurt the fry. Before I do this though I'd like opinions on if it's a bad idea.

Not sure how the fry would do with the Maracyn dosage. I think that cleaning off cyan by hand is usually best unless it's unbearable. If your tank is elevated enough, you can run a siphon hose down to a bucket. Scrape either with the end of the hose, or with another tool and suck the cyano away. We've worked through this before in three ways: (1) scrape, suck, and water change (2) Black-out the tank (cyano needs light) (3) Erythromycin treatment. 

2 hours ago, Fish Folk said:

Not sure how the fry would do with the Maracyn dosage. I think that cleaning off cyan by hand is usually best unless it's unbearable. If your tank is elevated enough, you can run a siphon hose down to a bucket. Scrape either with the end of the hose, or with another tool and suck the cyano away. We've worked through this before in three ways: (1) scrape, suck, and water change (2) Black-out the tank (cyano needs light) (3) Erythromycin treatment. 

Thank you. The hose description is what I've been doing and it's not too bad but it doesn't take long before it can get out of control, which is why I wanted to hit it with Maracyn. I wonder if you can truly get rid of it without the meds.