LIMPET NIGHTMARE

Howfie_03

I have a 5.5 gallon shrimp tank with freshwater limpets that I HATE. They constantly cover the glass and look awful. I had been told that they boom and bust and that if I ride it out they won’t be as bad. Well it’s been a year and they’ve been crazy forever. Doesn’t matter if I starve the tank or feed a ton the population stays at the same insane level. I’ve tried manual removal, I’ve tried feeding the shrimp in a dish and removing after an hour to make sure there’s no leftover food for them. Nothing works. I’m at the point where I might try to remove all of the shrimp and heat the tank super high to kill them? 

Anyone had limpets and gotten rid of them successfully?

Just now, Cory said:

I've never wanted to remove limpets as they are a benefit to my tanks. So I'm not help on mass removal unfortunately.

I totally get that they can help with algae and whatnot but they literally cover over 50% of the glass surfaces in the tank. I can’t even view the tank without scraping mass amounts of them off. I’d be happy with some but there’s just sooo many and they reproduce soooooo fast 😅