Found the Cure for Parasites in Pea Puffer Fish

Charlie Herman

I really wanted to share this info because when I first got my four pea puffer fish, one got very sick and from what I could find she looked like she had parasites but I couldn't find hardly any info at all online about what to treat her with.  After using a medication that didn't work, I lost her.  Then a second one started to look like she did.  This time I was lucky enough to find a post out there about Metroplex for a different kind of fish; and I called the company that makes it (Seachem -  a fantastic company that will talk with you right away).  I treated the tank with the recommended dose every other day for two weeks.  And within one day of putting the medicine in, my pea puffer started to eat and swim around.  The only thing about curing one is that, in my experience, the fish will never look round like the healthy ones that never got sick.  This cured one, Scooter, will always look skinny but eats as much as the two others. I just had to share this with everyone who has pea puffers.  If I had not found Metroplex, I would have lost all four of them to parasites which seems to be a common thing for them to possibly have when you buy them.

• Like 2

Thanks @Charlie Herman! Just for others who might find this thread later, Metroplex is Metronidazole, which is also a component of the Paraclense in the ACO med trio--wouldn't want to double up the dose if someone was trying to save a fish and inadvertantly tried both in quick succession, though it would appear that Metronidazole is pretty innocus as meds go.

• Like 1