RABBIT SNAIL

Jhenderson

@CoryI had bought 1 yellow rabbit snail and 2 mystery snails about 10 weeks ago from petco. The rabbit snail was in my glofish community tank and the mystery snails were in my betta tank. I put the rabbit snail in the betta tank about 8 days ago so I could treat my glofish tank with salt. There is now a baby rabbit snail in the betta tank with 1 betta, the 2 mystery snails, and my 1 Rabbit snail... How is this possible? It couldn't be a hybrid can it? Or did it maybe get pregnant at pet store more then 10 weeks ago?

9 hours ago, Kat_Rigel said:

It can't be a hybrid. They are two different genus- pomacea for the mysteries and tylomelania for rabbit snails. The genes won't match up.

9 hours ago, Kat_Rigel said:

It can't be a hybrid. They are two different genus- pomacea for the mysteries and tylomelania for rabbit snails. The genes won't match up.

That's what I thought. Do rabbit snails even need a male to reproduce? I think some organisms don't. 

12 minutes ago, Jhenderson said:

That's what I thought. Do rabbit snails even need a male to reproduce? I think some organisms don't. 

That is a fun question! For rabbit snails yes, they are dioecious, meaning there are males and females. But other snails are hermaphrodites meaning they are both male and female.

Here is a fun video on snail sex:

• Like 2

According to the Aquarium Breeder website, female rabbit snails can carry sperm with them for months. They'll then have one to three live birth babies every four to six weeks. The babies emerge in a white egg sack and quickly shed it and start hunting for food. You now know you have a female rabbit snail. As snails go, one to three new snails every 4-6 weeks is a very modest rate of reproduction. Oddly enough the site claims they adore Java fern and will devour it but will ignore most other plants. I didn't know that.

• Like 1

I got one rabbit snail about a year ago and she produced a cute rabbit baby every month or so for at least seven months. Rabbit females are like guppy females, once impregnated, they go on making babies for quite a while. 

On 1/31/2021 at 12:10 AM, gardenman said:

Oddly enough the site claims they adore Java fern and will devour it but will ignore most other plants

Mine never ate Java fern or any other plants. They love algae and carrots, not much else. Could be an individual snail preferences.

1 minute ago, Fonske said:

I got one rabbit snail about a year ago and she produced a cute rabbit baby every month or so for at least seven months. Rabbit females are like guppy females, once impregnated, they go on making babies for quite a while. 

Mine never ate Java fern or any other plants. They love algae and carrots, not much else. Could be an individual snail preferences.

I thought that was weird when I read it which is why I mentioned it in the post. I've never kept rabbit snails so I don't have any personal experience with them, but I was surprised to read that. Java fern is typically unbothered by everything and for rabbit snails to single it out seemed odd.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gardenman said:

Java fern is typically unbothered by everything and for rabbit snails to single it out seemed odd.

People have various experiences with it. I had a huge bush of Java fern (not doing so great) and it was never bothered, by neither the big rabbit mama nor the babies. Maybe they didn't like the taste or had enough carrots and zucchinis to leave the fern and all the other plants alone. 

On 1/30/2021 at 10:22 AM, Daniel said:

That is a fun question! For rabbit snails yes, they are dioecious, meaning there are males and females. But other snails are hermaphrodites meaning they are both male and female.

Here is a fun video on snail sex:

Can't believe I just watched snails do their thing lol. But now I can say I know a lot more about snail reproduction.