Brand New to the Hobby! Wow that escalated quickly

jkt001

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Two months ago I had never even thought of having an aquarium. After randomly watching a youtube video, and then another, and another, and discovered Cory and Aquarium Co-Op, and Dean, and another, and another.....I now have three aquariums. 

I am only using 1 so far, because I could realize I was rushing into things haha, but I have plans for the others. 

Excited to be a part of this Forum and I will add pictures as I get it all up and rolling. I hope to chat with you all!

• Like 5

Quickly? Yes. But not extreme. I kept a lot of fish in my early 20s, like 20 years ago. Then life happened. 

I set up a new 29 gallon tank about a month ago after catching the bug again...and am currently planning a rack in the living room that will hold a 75, 2 20s, and 5 10s. Assuming the floor holds. 😛

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Squeegee79 said:

Quickly? Yes. But not extreme. I kept a lot of fish in my early 20s, like 20 years ago. Then life happened. 

I set up a new 29 gallon tank about a month ago after catching the bug again...and am currently planning a rack in the living room that will hold a 75, 2 20s, and 5 10s. Assuming the floor holds. 😛

That sounds awesome. 

The problem with tanks isn't the fish, or the tanks themselves (they are nice decorations after all), or even all the water changes. It's the massive amount of crud you have to keep to maintain the tanks and the harsh reality of something going wrong at some point and your whole tank dying. This is why rich people just pay people to come in once a week and maintain their tanks.   😁

Edited by morphy1701
  • Like 2

Welcome to the forum.  It sounds like you have a medical condition known as Multiple Tank Syndrome (MTS).  I caught it a while ago also.  I started keeping fish in September of 2019, and I'm up to 6 tanks.

That's all I have room for without getting a divorce, at least for the time being.  I have a 12' x 14' storage building in the back yard that I'm planning to turn into a fish house when I retire in a few years.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, morphy1701 said:

Just remember, you have to have a dedicated fish room... AND a dedicated fish storage room!

I am figuring that out quickly. Everytime I buy all that I need I seem to find more things that I need. I have had to redefine “need” vs. “want”

• Haha 1

MTS is something I caught quite by accident. After we set up our 4th, I had to ask my husband, "Please tell me "NO" to more tanks. THE NEXT DAY, I found that the 20 gallon I had had more scratches that I couldn't live with. So, "Just this one, really." I don't know if I would really want a "fish room". It would have to be my office also, I find myself wanting to just sit and watch them to often and wouldn't get my work done.

• Like 1

Haha, welcome.  I'm new too, but I only have 2 tanks... a 5 and a 10 gallon.  I got started unintentionally when we got the 5 gallon for my daughter's birthday.  Then, I realized I was the one that got hooked and bought the 10.  If I buy another one, my wife is going to give me "one of those looks", so I need to hold off.  😆

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Martin said:

Haha, welcome.  I'm new too, but I only have 2 tanks... a 5 and a 10 gallon.  I got started unintentionally when we got the 5 gallon for my daughter's birthday.  Then, I realized I was the one that got hooked and bought the 10.  If I buy another one, my wife is going to give me "one of those looks", so I need to hold off.  😆

I know that look well...