FULL MOON: ARE YOUR FISH SPAWNING?

Fish Folk

Nerms, I want to ask for a show of fins:

Did any of your fish spawn, lay eggs, or drop fry between January 26 and Jan 31??

I am just curious. We find that a full moon (often combined with a water change) seems to mark off spawning sessions in our fishroom. Maybe it's all in my head . . . but it _seems_ far too common to ignore. 

• Like 1

Could be observation bias too.  Like nurses observing higher than usual birth rates during a full moon.  It would be cool though if they could sense the moon from indoors.

Don't forget to @ me when you need a wet blanket!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I did a some water changes last weekend because we had a front come through last Sunday and Monday, and I got eggs from Aspidoras spilotus, Cory weitzmani and Cory venezuelanus. Unfortunately, the venezuelanus ones might not have been fertile, they all fungused over the next day, but they are still young fish.

• Like 1

I don't know 😉 The only thing in my collection that gets pretty randy are my African Dwarf Frogs.  They were definitely hugging and holding on tight with each during this period, but not sure if more than normal.  Anyhow already got enough tadpoles to worry about at the moment. 😉 

Had eggs all over the glass on several cory tanks this morning. I am on daily auto water. Pinellas park florida. It also poured down rain randomly for about an hour a day or so ago first time in a while.

Edit. Just found this really cool site while trying to see when it actually rained. 

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/@z-us-33781/historic

Edited by s1_

2 hours ago, Ben_RF said:

I don't know 😉 The only thing in my collection that gets pretty randy are my African Dwarf Frogs.  They were definitely hugging and holding on tight with each during this period, but not sure if more than normal.  Anyhow already got enough tadpoles to worry about at the moment. 😉 

That's interesting, I noticed my dwarf frogs started going crazy this past week as well. Lots of calling and embracing activity compared to their normal frogginess. 

My guppies and platys, on the other hand, do not show any lunar cycle preference for their reproductive shenanigans.