Zebra danio what filtration to use

Leakyduck

The 1st tank I ever had was zebra danios and tetras and that was 30 years ago and I barely was tall enough to see in there.  I assume we had a tetra whisper filter because I remember putting carbon into the white foam and inserting the plastic holder and rinsing it.  I would run both. Use the HOB as mechanical and polishing. If you ever need or want to run carbon you can without any issues.  If you go with the HOB then also run an air stone.

Thanks I have both running now. Can anyone tell me if this sponge filter is set up right? Seems a little much coming out and might need to throttle it back. Its aquarium coop sponge and the never click airstone hooked to tetra whisper 10-20 gal airpump. Currently no valve inline.

20210128_204404.jpg

20210127_190757.jpg

Looks good. You could dial it back some. Also get a inline check valve just in case the power goes out and the airline decides to siphon. So from the pump have the throttle valve and then after that add some line and then the check valve.

This might sound crazy but for my tank I have 2 large sponge filters on my 10 gallon plus a HOB. It is a lot but I have the sponges on there for my future tank upgrade.  I have the 2 sponges and the HOB running lower so the tank flow isn't super crazy.

Your tank looks good

• Like 1

Also if you want to limit bubbles coming out of the sponge you can cut the line inside the sponge to move the air stone as close to the top as possible.  I will warn you though that it may not help. I have that same sponge on a 5 gallon and I still get some bubbling out of the top but not much.

I turned it way down but no matter what I do I still get little air bubbles. The air stone line is very small and straight. I also cant tell if it pulling in anything. How do I tell if the sponge is working correctly? I'm still running the hob since I'm not sure if I set this sponge up right. I turned the flow way down so only a little bit is coming past filter. If I turn it down until zero bubbles come from filter there is zero flow output.

16121090639722965220063443497558.jpg

1612109948074988442050356720868.jpg

Edited by Leakyduck

Here is a helpful video from Corey on how to optimize a sponge filter. 

Keep in mind sponge filters are a low flow filter. You wont be able to see the water getting sucked in, but if you got bubbles coming out of the green lift tube, it is in fact working. If you are having issues dialing in your air flow you can use a cheap plastic regulator pictured below, or you can put a kink in your air line and hold it with a twist tie or zip tie and adjust the flow by how sharp or loose you kink your line. 

66B26C12-23BD-4EC5-81EA-33E24F1F0E28.jpeg

• Like 1