Fish that Eat Duckweed

Streetwise

I have been keeping a clear bucket for the Duckweed I pull from two shrimp tanks, so I can check for fry and pull snail snacks for loaches. About every month I bring the Duckweed to my LFS for their Koi. If I am already keeping a bucket going, why not get a small tank where I can host my own Duckweed-eaters and save the drive? What are your suggestions for fun fish for a 15-20 gallon tank for this purpose?

Thanks!

8249D77D-6FB6-4268-AD8A-11B2AF011D5A_1_201_a.jpeg

Edited by Streetwise
Image Links

I don't know any fish that eat duckweed aside from koi and goldfish, and mbuna who will eat literally anything that goes in their tank. I've  never kept tropheus to know if they eat duckweed although I suspect they might,  but all of these choices are too small for a 15-20 gallon anyhow. 

I do not know of any small fish that eats duckweed.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2020 at 11:15 AM, gcalberto said:

My excess duckweed goes for my community tank, where my Congo tetras and angelfish eat it. 

They might not go crazy for it as if you were putting fish food, but they eat everything I put in within hours or days 

Your congos and angels eat duckweed?

Ugh, I must have defective fish, neither one of the tanks that have those fish in it here touch the duckweed. I wish they would. I want to be rid of it.

You know what eats duckweed in my house? The rats. I'll  net out a bunch of duckweed from a tank and then go throw it in a rat cage and they take great joy in stuffing as much of it in their mouths as they can. 

2 hours ago, Nataku said:

Your congos and angels eat duckweed?

Ugh, I must have defective fish, neither one of the tanks that have those fish in it here touch the duckweed. I wish they would. I want to be rid of it.

You know what eats duckweed in my house? The rats. I'll  net out a bunch of duckweed from a tank and then go throw it in a rat cage and they take great joy in stuffing as much of it in their mouths as they can

Both my angels and congos eat duckweed indeed. They also eat the roots of frogbit 

• 4 weeks later...