Instant Baby Brine Shrimp

North Wales Zoo

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with instant baby brine from Ocean Nutrition? It seems like a cool concept buy I'm skeptical, I mostly have betta, croaking/licorice/chocolate gourami fry, and occasionally dwarf cichlids. It's a little pricey, but I'm wondering if it would be worth having a bottle or two on hand incase something ever went wrong with my microworms of brine shrimp hatchery.

Thanks for any help!

No experience with that product. I guess I can see some value . . . but I think I'd rather just learn to hatch baby brine. Love ones definitely get the job done, and with some learning, it's not as messy and terrible as their promotion makes it seem. We buy Artemia eggs in 16 oz cans, keep that refrigerated, hatch out in 1-liter bottles made via DIY found online. Works great. Leftover BBS can be frozen in ice cube trays, and thawed out easily. 

My mom uses it and the frozen baby brine mini cubes. She is new to the hobby and I suggested these as an easier way for her to feed this small food. In her only tank, a 55 planted community, she has been raising a small batch of angelfish fry in a ziss box feeding first bites early then the instant bbs once they could eat it.

She now has the pair in a newly setup 20, her second tank, attempting to parent raise. 

I think these foods are very good for the right scenario.

• Like 1

I used once before them and my fish like them. They fish ate them the same as they do the frozen and live BBS. The down side to these is they do not last long once they are opened, and unless you are feeding a lot of tanks/fish, they will likely go bad before you get through all of them. If you do not want to hatch your own, I'd recommend the frozen BBS cubes in the blister packs. Typically you can get them at your LFS or any big box pet store. They will last a lot longer, they are cheaper, and they are very similar in quality. Overall frozen is a better value for your money than the instant BBS in my opinion. 

I have used that product. My fish loved it, but it goes bad pretty quickly (kept in fridge, lasts about a week). After I threw out more than half (because of not enough fish to feed at the time), I was leery of purchasing it again, so when I got the next batch of fish, I got a BBS hatcher instead. There are simpler setups than the Ziss if you don't have enough fish or space to make it work. But, if you can use up the instant within a week, at least it probably won't go bad. Personally, after learning more about BBS, I'd feed frozen or freeze dried brine shrimp in lieu of the instant, but fresh-hatched is the best. 

• Like 1