Blue fish suggestions?

ELR

I have a tank with peaceful nano fish at 72° and I’m looking to add some color especially blue. I’m deciding between neon blue male guppies, neon tetras or cardinal tetras. Any suggestions or advice? 
I have Sewellia lineolata, neon gobies, peacock gudgeons, flag fish and gold white clouds - a little bit of everything lol. Lots of plants.  

TIA for any help!

Yeah, I worry that it's a bit cold for the neons or cardinals. 72 is supposed to be the low end of the range for them but I'm sure they'd be happier warmer.  @Ken your tank looks awesome! and the cardinals are beautiful! What temperature is your tank? @MAC I'll look into the killifish and rice fish - I hadn't considered either of them. @Colu I'm worried danios would be nippy with all my peaceful guys. 

Thanks so much for the help!

11 hours ago, Colu said:

Isn't 72 a bit to low to keep neon and  cardinals at

In the wild the temperature ranges from the upper 60's to low 80's for neon tetras.  Mine seem to thrive when I keep them between 72 - 75'f. 

Seriously Fish has the following water parameters for them:

Water Conditions

Temperature21 – 25 °C   (69.8'f - 77'f)

pH4.0 – 7.5

Hardness18 – 215 ppm

A more detailed article on them by Seriously Fish can be found here: https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/paracheirodon-innesi/

Edited by Ben_RF
specifying information was for neon tetras
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, MickS77 said:

A blue fish on my wishlist is the Blueberry Tetra - Hyphessobrycon wadai 

Hyphessobrycon wadai

That is pretty. Having never even seen it mentioned anywhere I googled it. Lot's of luck finding some. If you do post pictures.

If you are on the fence between tetras and livebearers, I would consider pH/GH too. I keep tetras in soft water (30ppm or less) GH 7.2-7.4 pH, and guppies I shoot for at least 80ppm GH and 7.6-7.8 pH. For me the pH is what it is, it is 6.6 out of the tap, and virtually no minerals at all. My water is stellar for tetras, but my guppies have been adjustable within reason. They will be happier every bit I can nudge it up. Just something to consider, it is easier to get into the fish you can keep easily than strive for something that will always be slightly unhappy. 

That said, I have many more guppies than tetras, and I do not follow my own advice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Larrimore said:

Dans Fish has some.  The blueberry tetra that is.

@MickS77There you go. Right on the front page of Dan's page on Get Gills. For $150 you could have a nice little school of them. A little much for me but there are sure a lot of good ideas in this thread.

Edited by Ken
  • Thanks 1