Preparation for planting

8 minutes ago, Ron Hudson said:

Are there plants I should avoid as I prepare for a higher temp (82-84) discus tank?

Hmm... you may find that most all plants will act upset at first in warmer water... some may melt, etc. 

Swords and Valisneria Americana do ok in our discus tank -/ 87-degrees Fahrenheit (they do better HOT) — with root tabs! — and regular fertilization (EZ Green)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Daniel said:

In this tank which was 85F I had Amazon sword, dwarf chain sword, java fern, rotala, red melon sword, Jungle Val.

338714916_October6002.jpg.01cec0755955ed96af4e3ad5f21b89ee.jpg

So I can tell you what worked for me. I haven't grown anubias in a long time but I have heard it does well warm water.

I currently have water sprite in a 86F discus tank and it is growing well.

I don't know about cryptocoryne or octopus.

That tank looks amazing, is it yours? And if it is what is val/sag like like plant?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Paul_Obermiller said:

That tank looks amazing, is it yours? And if it is what is val/sag like like plant?

Yes, that was my tank as it looked on January 1, 2010. The val/sag plant I bought as pygmy chain sword. The pygmy chain sword got a little larger than I expected though.

I went to mostly hardscape only in this tank in 2013, so currently it looks like this:

20200911_5617.JPG.a6ae0aa6219868b570f2ac

I didn't think I would like a tank with few plants, but overtime I came to appreciate its subtle qualities.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Paul_Obermiller said:

What? How? What are the dimensions on a tank like that?

8 feet long by 3 feet tall by 3 feet high. There isn't any equipment at all in the tank. Underneath is a pump to circulate the water and heater to keep the tank warm. All the sand and rocks and wood can house far more beneficial bacteria than the tank will ever need, so what would a filter even do?

Here is what is under the tank. Everything comes up through the bottom of the tank.

20200714_0676.JPG.d47756b03d1cd35337e7a7

The tank also has an automated water change system that also comes up through bottom and an overflow that goes down through to bottom out to one my outdoor shrimp pools.

So because your tank has low stock and so much area for bacteria you don't need a filter.  That makes sense. And then you reuse the water for shrimp. I love it, that's great. I have a koi pond that is about 450-600 gallons and I've been thinking about selling the koi and doing a native tank. What is the little native blue and black fish? I can't remember the name.

5 minutes ago, Daniel said:

8 feet long by 3 feet tall by 3 feet high. There isn't any equipment at all in the tank. Underneath is a pump to circulate the water and heater to keep the tank warm. All the sand and rocks and wood can house far more beneficial bacteria than the tank will ever need, so what would a filter even do?

Here is what is under the tank. Everything comes up through the bottom of the tank.

20200714_0676.JPG.d47756b03d1cd35337e7a7

The tank also has an automated water change system that also comes up through bottom and an overflow that goes down through to bottom out to one my outdoor shrimp pools.

daniel what is your opinion on the inline heater when I was trying to get a larger plywood tank(that was before I was on forums and before I realized that would be crazy expensive ) I considered I think the same one

3 minutes ago, quirkylemon103 said:

daniel what is your opinion on the inline heater when I was trying to get a larger plywood tank(that was before I was on forums and before I realized that would be crazy expensive ) I considered I think the same one

I have had this inline heater for more than a decade and have been very happy with it. I don't remember what I paid for it but my guess is that it was alot. 🙂

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Pygmy sunfish, genus Elassoma. There are several species. All are happy in water from about 40 - 90F.

Rainbow shiners are next on my list if I get rid of the koi. I would have to alter my pond though. They like shallow areas to spawn so I would make it longer rather than deeper. Of course I'd add caves so racoons can't get them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paul_Obermiller said:

I have tried sunfish, I think it was a pumpkinseed. He was awesome but I wanted koi so I let him go back in my creek. They are like small bass. 

The name 'sunfish' for Elassoma makes it sound like they will be big fish like a pumpkinseed, but pygmy sunfish only get to about an inch. I do think they are vaguely related though.

Just now, Paul_Obermiller said:

I thought sun fish were like pumpkinseeds. I haven't found any pygmies near me. I would have to drive for a few hours.

Here is the range map for the various species:

image.png.59c9a2991753cff0a1bb831019763537.png

I have wild collected E. zonatum in ditch off the side of an interstate highway, E. boehlkei in a swamp, and E. okatie underneath a railway trestle. All were about the size of guppies.

4 minutes ago, Daniel said:

The name 'sunfish' for Elassoma makes it sound like they will be big fish like a pumpkinseed, but pygmy sunfish only get to about an inch. I do think they are vaguely related though.

Image result for pygmy fish

I was a bit confused but I understand now. These are the pygmy fish I was talking about, I never knew they associated the name sunfish with it.

• Like 1

centrarchids,

I was a bit confused but I understand now. These are the pygmy fish I was talking about, I never knew they associated the name sunfish with it.

Yes, when they were first classified some ichthyologist thought they were cichlids, but the majority thought they were centrarchids, like the larger sunfishes. That debate was only definitively solved recently with DNA and they are indeed centrarchids. So therefore related to pumpkinseeds.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Here is the range map for the various species:

image.png.59c9a2991753cff0a1bb831019763537.png

I have wild collected E. zonatum in ditch off the side of an interstate highway, E. boehlkei in a swamp, and E. okatie underneath a railway trestle. All were about the size of guppies.

I most likely caught a E. Zonatum. There was a "pair" in my creek. I don't know much about them but there were 2 fish that were always together. They had a lot of fry that got stuck in a mud puddle (in summer when my creek was dried up) but I couldn't save them all. The ones that I did save I let them go after they were about 2 inches.

I most likely caught a E. Zonatum. There was a "pair" in my creek. I don't know much about them but there were 2 fish that were always together. They had a lot of fry that got stuck in a mud puddle (in summer when my creek was dried up) but I couldn't save them all. The ones that I did save I let them go after they were about 2 inches.

If they got to be 2 inches, then most likely not pygmy sunfish. I think the maximum size is about 1.75, but maybe so as you did say 'about 2 inches'. 🙂 Most are smaller and live in still waters.

Never mind I just looked up a picture but that's not them. They looked like the larger sunfish like this. I loved the electric blue on his face. I have seen E. Zonatum but every time I go to catch them they dart under the bank of the creek and I can't get them out. Or they hide in roots from a nearby tree.Image result for pumpkinseed

• Like 1