Greetings from Canada

Been here for a few days but forgot to properly introduce myself.

Got my main tank here. A 20 gallon Aqueon Led Aquarium

Got my black angelfish

Pineapple swordtail

5 female mutt guppies

2 bronze cory one albino and one unknown.

2 types of plants that i forgot their names, (If anyone knows what these plants and cory are please tell me)

4 or 5 kuhli loaches

Got more tanks will update and edit soon if anyone wants to see more.

Aquarium1.jpg

• Like 3

On 8/17/2020 at 9:45 AM, Daniel said:

Nice tank.

The green frilly plant in the background I think is Water wisteria (Hydrophila difformis). On the left behind the thermometer it appears to be Vallisneria.

I love your user name. Is there a story behind that?

Ah thank you for the help, i wanted to get info on my specific plants for a bit now.

As for the name sadly no Its just something i came up with since im canadian and i like the stereotypical lumberjack look. And im also a big guy so i like to think i would be one if i was sent back to those times.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BeetleLann said:

Hello giantlumberjack from a fellow Canadian!

I am new to the hobby and to the forum, and I am excited to find a fellow Canadian on this site!

I will be following your posts 🙂

Best of health from the KW area,

Lann

Nice to see more canadians here, feel free to share your tank too.

Speaking of Got these two also 

First one is your standard 7gal gravel floor tank with fake plants and small sponge filther. Its my sudo beta/breeding tank. Right now i only have that baby swordtail in the box and a yellow guppy. Could not keep the betta in it he killed my yellow male and was starting to hurt the female.

Next one is the 30/40 (not sure about this one) This is my dads tank but i still feel it would be nice to share.

Also as the typical gravel floor and fake plant but added a couple real ones.

And a buttload of fish.

aq3.jpg

aq2.jpg

Edited by giantlumberjack
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, giantlumberjack said:

Though sadly i need to report that i think my zebra snail died.

Almost forgot to put this somewhere but does anyone know what kind of cory this is? Want to get him some friends but not sure what kind he or she is.

myterycory.jpg

Not a technical term, but sure if a cute one! 😉

• 3 weeks later...

Was just wondering is a two week cycle aquarium ok for cherry shrimps?

The tank is at 0,25 or 0 amonia 0 nitrate and 0 nitrite from the test i took.

I have a female betta i wanted to use to kick start the process but is it still to early for her too?

Are either of those two ok in this new tank or will they die?

29 minutes ago, giantlumberjack said:

Was just wondering is a two week cycle aquarium ok for cherry shrimps?

The tank is at 0,25 or 0 amonia 0 nitrate and 0 nitrite from the test i took.

I have a female betta i wanted to use to kick start the process but is it still to early for her too?

Are either of those two ok in this new tank or will they die?

Hi and welcome to the forum! You may get a better response in the future by starting a new topic for each question, but I understand there is a recent glitch that is not allowing new topics to be started.

What is your current ammonia source? How much algae build up are you seeing?

The short answer is yes, it is likely way too early for cherry shrimp.

The betta is a better choice, but you will need to test daily for the ammonia to come up and I strongly suspect it WILL.

You will be doing a fish-in cycle, so you will need to add an ammonia/nitrite binder to the tank daily, like seachem prime, until you see the ammonia AND nitrite fall back to zero. The prime will bind the ammonia/nitrite for 24h in a form that will not hurt your fish but will still show on a test and still feed your good bacteria. You can keep adding the prime until the bacteria catches up. Don't over feed during this time, and don't skip a day. 

Hope that helps!

13 hours ago, Brandy said:

Hi and welcome to the forum! You may get a better response in the future by starting a new topic for each question, but I understand there is a recent glitch that is not allowing new topics to be started.

What is your current ammonia source? How much algae build up are you seeing?

The short answer is yes, it is likely way too early for cherry shrimp.

The betta is a better choice, but you will need to test daily for the ammonia to come up and I strongly suspect it WILL.

You will be doing a fish-in cycle, so you will need to add an ammonia/nitrite binder to the tank daily, like seachem prime, until you see the ammonia AND nitrite fall back to zero. The prime will bind the ammonia/nitrite for 24h in a form that will not hurt your fish but will still show on a test and still feed your good bacteria. You can keep adding the prime until the bacteria catches up. Don't over feed during this time, and don't skip a day. 

Hope that helps!

Dont really see any algae, i was thinking putting the betta frist was the better idea. She is a very tiny female so i doupt she would cause a big amonia spike.

I was using a aquarium tuckey baster to pick up waste and decomposting food/plant matter from a holding tank I use for her. And a bit of waste from the 20 gallon when i do a water change is that a good idea? Since the aquarium had no fish to make waste i though maybe putting some in it would help.

Do you have a link or image for that prime product? Just want to make sure that what i found is the right thing.