Too Many Guppies!

Dana

Hi guys!  I need help keeping a guppy population under control.  I have a 75 gallon with guppies and breeding plecos.  The plecos do eat some guppy fry, but not enough to keep it manageable.  Any suggestions for a peaceful fish that would eat some adult guppies?  Thanks!

If a fish would eat adult guppies, I wouldn't exactly consider it "peaceful." I guess it depends on your definition. 

I breed guppies and take the offspring to my LFS for store credit. Culls go in my outdoor pond. I dont have a ton of space, but someday when I do, I plan to get a big boi like a bichir or oscar to eat the culls or unwanted guppies. So that would be my recommendation- a separate tank with a bigger fish. As far as recommendations within the tank... I dont have a ton of experience but angelfish sounds like a possibility, as mentioned above. 

I love me some south american cihlids! Fish like Angelfish, Apistogramma, etc. Would make GREAT fry eaters. The angelfish also have AWESOME Personalities. Angelfish have eatin all my cardinal tetras, so I think guppy fry will be no problem for them. All of these fish suggested will make great center peice fish. I would make sure that the South American Cichlids can do well at 76-78F (which is why I didn't suggest rams)

Here are some care guides:

Angelfish Care:

Apistogramma Care:

Guppies breed like they're preparing for world domination. AmIright? Lol. I haven't really found a fish that would take out fry only that I wanted to keep, and I'm not even sure I have the heart to do so anyway. I have been separating males and females out though to slow the onslaught.

• Like 1