One of my plant leaves looks like a "skeleton" or "spider web". Is that rot, or is something eating my plants?

KyleKVK

Hi. I woke up the other morning and one of the leaves on one of my sword plants suddenly looks like something ate it and left all the "bones" of the leaf. It doesn't look like any rot or plant nutrient deficiency that  I've ever seen.

I can't post a picture at the moment but hopefully someone can visualize what I'm saying.

I have had an amazon leaf melt like that. In my case the plant was unhappy because of a number of factors, being shaded, not enough fertilizer, and higher heat than it was used to. My snails and shrimp ate the soft tissue first. That leaf was a gonner, but the plant recovered just fine.

As Lefty asked, Do you have a pleco or something similar?  They have a soft spot for Amazon swords but if you keep them well fed with veg that usually gives them enough to leave the plants alone. I feed mine a piece of zucchini at least once a week and sometimes other things if have them in.

https://plecoplanet.com/feeding/veggie-list-for-plecs/

Just be warned, broccoli can get reallyyyyy messy! 😆

Edited by Calvin

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

As Lefty asked, Do you have a pleco or something similar?  They have a soft spot for Amazon swords but if you keep them well fed with veg that usually gives them enough to leave the plants alone. I feed mine a piece of zucchini at least once a week and sometimes other things if have them in.

https://plecoplanet.com/feeding/veggie-list-for-plecs/

Just be warned, broccoli can get reallyyyyy messy! 😆

I do have an Oto but he seems happy with algae and never eats my vegetables so I never thought anything of it. He’s got a round belly and has kept himself alive so far.

But it totally is an Amazon Sword that he might have eaten. I’ll try again with the vegetables. My snail and Oto do not seem to know how to deal with them at all!

• Like 1