My new(used) tank Adventure

Jefft51

I was contemplating what to do with my Corydoras explosion (I think at least 100 in my 20 gallon) so I browsed the local want ads. I came across a 30 gallon tank for $10 with gravel and lid. I couldn't resist. I messaged him and made the arrangements to come and pick it up.

About 15 corydoras fry  About 15 fry. 

Before I left, I looked up the dimensions of 30 gallon tanks and determined that I would be able to stuff one in my small car, which is a Scion FRS.  I stopped at a store on my way to break a 20 so I could pay him. 

He had it in a trailered skiff with some other items he was getting rid of. He had carried it up from his houseboat. I'm not sure how as it had gravel in it still and two of us struggled to carry it. 

So we tried to fit it in my car and it Almost fit. He volunteered to deliver it for another $10 as I was only a couple miles away. So I took him up on the offer and we got to my house and placed it on the lawn. Whew.  I measured the tank and it's 36"x12"x24" which makes it just under 45 gallons. No wonder it wouldn't fit. 

45 gallon tank delivered to my lawn Tank Delivered!

I took out the "clown.....dandruff" gravel which was about 60 lbs. I noticed a chip on one edge. I think he must have banged it trying to carry 120 lb 3 ft long tank by himself. It doesn't appear to be structural damage. Needs a little epoxy or something.

Chip on tank edge Chipped edge

Multicolored gravel in bucketColorful Gravel

Now I just have to figure out where to put it and what to put in it. I'm thinking Apistogramma. I might use the gravel to make a Sponge Bob themed aquarium.  Maybe my LFS will trade catfish for Apistos.

-Jeff

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, ADMWNDSR83 said:

Quite the adventure, Jeff!  I'd love to hear how it's progressing, and if you've put the 45 to use,

I set up a shelf in a spare room, now becoming my Fish Room. On it are the 45 gallon, a 10 gallon quarantine tank and two 5 gallon shrimp tanks.

I put about 65 of the catfish fry in the 45 gallon (out of 87) along with a bunch of endler fry. When they grow out a little more I need to figure out how to get rid of them. I will probably not do anything else with the tank until after Christmas as I'll be away visiting my two grandsons.  Then I'll probably put either Apistogramma or Kribensis in the tank.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jefft51 said:

I set up a shelf in a spare room, now becoming my Fish Room. On it are the 45 gallon, a 10 gallon quarantine tank and two 5 gallon shrimp tanks.

I put about 65 of the catfish fry in the 45 gallon (out of 87) along with a bunch of endler fry. When they grow out a little more I need to figure out how to get rid of them. I will probably not do anything else with the tank until after Christmas as I'll be away visiting my two grandsons.  Then I'll probably put either Apistogramma or Kribensis in the tank.

You can’t go wrong with either of them. I keep both. The 1st pix is of my 40 breeder with my colony of Kribs along with Corys, Von Rio Tetras and Brilliant Rasboras. The 2nd pix is of my 20 long it houses 5 Apistogramma nijsseni with some Neon & Silvertip Tetras as well as a couple of Corys and Otto’s. So they work well in a community setup. The thing that both of these tanks share is their proportions longer than tall which gives these two dwarf cichlids the length they’ll use for swimming. I’ve got Nannacara anomola in a 29 and they really only use the bottom 1/3 of the tank. Good luck your tank repair and fish selection.

684604B2-F92F-42DF-9A07-7B4FA70671A3.jpeg

92730357-A07C-4657-93CC-A2D131DB10F6.jpeg

• Like 1