Nitrate Reduction vs Tap Water

Larry

I have been fighting to get my Nitrates to an acceptable level in my tank, and just can't seem to make any real improvements. 

I can't get the Nitrates to be lower than maybe 40 to 60. 

Today I checked my tap water. It is at around 40 Nitrates. 

So... I'm fighting a losing battle. 

Should I invest in an RO system?

Will that help?

20210118_200915.jpg

I think any type of floating plant will help you since they all propagate pretty quickly. If you're worried about light getting through, fast growing stem plants may help as well. I have pearlweed and it seems to grow pretty quickly. Doesn't take much time at all to cut and replant your way to a full bush of them.

5 minutes ago, mouseturd13 said:

You could try a plant in the top of the tank like a pothos. They are said to pull a lot of nitrates out. I have them in my tank and they grow like weeds. 

Do you have any tips for getting pothos to grow like a weed? I have several cuttings, and although they are not dying and they aren't growing very much at all. I've had them about 5 months and I have maybe 1 to 2 new leaves on each one. Weirdly their root structures seem to be growing well though.

3 minutes ago, OceanTruth said:

Do you have any tips for getting pothos to grow like a weed? I have several cuttings, and although they are not dying and they aren't growing very much at all. I've had them about 5 months and I have maybe 1 to 2 new leaves on each one. Weirdly their root structures seem to be growing well though.

Mine really took off when I got a new light. I got the fluval plant 3.0 and all my plants took off. I think I remember mine growing roots like crazy to a certain point until the leaves took off. I would guess the root structure needs to be big enough to support new growth before it can actually grow, but I'm just guessing. The only thing I did to help growth was use easy green once a week and root tabs for my crypts so nothing special for the photos. 

• Like 1

Just now, mouseturd13 said:

Mine really took off when I got a new light. I got the fluval plant 3.0 and all my plants took off. I think I remember mine growing roots like crazy to a certain point until the leaves took off. I would guess the root structure needs to be big enough to support new growth before it can actually grow, but I'm just guessing. The only thing I did to help growth was use easy green once a week and root tabs for my crypts so nothing special for the photos. 

I guess I just need to be more patient with them. Thanks for the info!