Guppy still looks pregnant after birth?

Lexi B

Should I concerned over my female guppy? She gave birth a few days ago, but still looks quite chunky and her gravid spot is still fairly large. 

I know people retain a little bit if baby weight and bloat after birth, though, so is this the same kind of thing?

I've never bred fish before so I know that I still have a lot to learn. 

PXL_20210124_224114367.MP.jpg

PXL_20210124_224117599.jpg

PXL_20210124_224123824.jpg

I'm not too experienced with guppies, but my female endlers will often stay at least a little potbellied all the time. And while I think it may have been the stress from shipping and/or her first time, one female took several days to give birth to all her babies. I wouldn't be concerned. Your gal looks happy and healthy to me. Monitor her feeding & activity just in case, but I think you're okay.

Edited by Kirsten

Female guppies are incredible, in my opinion. I'm pretty sure some of them are pregnant all the time. I have some Mamas whose bellies will go down a bit when they give birth to a few fry, but they never completely "deflate". And I'm also fairy confident that some of them take days to drop all their fry. So your mama may still give birth to more over the next few days. When they are super stressed, they seem to hold the babies longer. I really think they just do what they want...lol! They decide when conditions are right to let those little fry go out into the big, vast tank. 

Best of luck with yours! The process is utterly fascinating. 😍

• Like 1

I have seen all kinds of scenarios with guppies. Some females don't look pregnant at all, but deliver babies (surprise!). Some look heavily pregnant, give birth, and still look pretty pregnant. Some look pregnant, drop fry, and look a bit less pregnant. And some look somewhat pregnant, give birth, and look completely deflated after that.

I wouldn't worry about your new mama, she looks fine.

• 3 months later...