Is this some kind of algae?

20 hours ago, Colu said:

On your filter sponge look like black bush algae you can spot treat with seachem flourish excel to get rid of it

I looked at pictures and it doesn’t seem like it. The algea is the same as on the plant, long white filament.

@CoryWould you know what these are exactly? Thanks!

Well, long term, balance your tank. @Irene just put out THE best video. You may need to lower your lights, or increase your fertilizer. Without more info about your set up I can only guess. Short term there are lots of things you can try, like nerite snails for GSA and spot treating the BBA/SA with hydrogen peroxide...Those are stopgap solutions.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Brandy said:

Well, long term, balance your tank. @Irene just put out THE best video. You may need to lower your lights, or increase your fertilizer. Without more info about your set up I can only guess. Short term there are lots of things you can try, like nerite snails for GSA and spot treating the BBA/SA with hydrogen peroxide...Those are stopgap solutions.

Oh, sorry for the lack of information.

It’s a 10 gallons. It has 6 guppies and 1 nerite snails. I don’t know if it’s because my nerite is big but I never see it on plants.

Parameters are a bit out of whack - was quarantining my guppy, then timer decided not to work so my light stayed on for 2 nights in a row.

I did look at Irene video and thinking about purchasing all the nutrients test kits like her.

It’s only a 10 gallons so not sure about Oto... I could get amano shrimps but am afraid my guppies will snack on them...

The kind of info I would need are: 

What kind of light?

How many hours a day is it on?

Do you fertilize?

With what?

How often?

What is the range of nitrates in the tank, during an average week?

What kind of plants do you have?

How many?

Looking at the photo you provided I am guessing you have a fair amount of light (photo looks well lit, plant leaves are close together, not leggy) but not much fertilizer (plant looks a little pale). 

56 minutes ago, Brandy said:

The kind of info I would need are: 

What kind of light?

How many hours a day is it on?

Do you fertilize?

With what?

How often?

What is the range of nitrates in the tank, during an average week?

What kind of plants do you have?

How many?

Looking at the photo you provided I am guessing you have a fair amount of light (photo looks well lit, plant leaves are close together, not leggy) but not much fertilizer (plant looks a little pale). 

Light is a Nicrew SkyLed Plus. I leave it on 8 hours a day. I just received a timer that allows me to ramp up/down. Should I do it or full intensity for 8 hours is ok?

No CO2

I use Easy green once a week

Nitrates are about 20ppm

Plants are :

Anubias, marino moss ball, crypto wendii red (I think), java fern Windelow, chola wood, pogostemon helferi, Limnophilia sessiflora, bacopa caroliniana, bacopa compact and I completely forgot the name of the one in front left.

3110E70A-12F2-43A1-831A-97D0E0DCA552.jpeg

• Like 1

Well shoot. That tank has hardly any algae. Plant growth looks good, algae is not immediately visible, and everything looks fine. I would now say you are probably doing fine. You just might have a hotspot or two--bright areas that are not growing anything else, like the top of the filter intake. The very tips of the new growth might be a tiny bit pale, which means too bright/low fertilizer, but they are far from a major defeciency at this time. As your plants fill out they will likely squeeze out the algae, and you can easily spot treat the top of the filter intake out of the water with hydrogen peroxide or flourish excel. You may need to add some supplements of minerals if your water is soft, and I would nudge the light down a tiny bit for now--the ramp up/down may be the perfect solution.

I never had good luck with amanos as cleaning shrimp contrary to everyone else. I am not sure why. I have neocaridina with my guppies though, and adults are not bothered. Babies need places to hide and then they also survive with guppies just fine. My nerites are not often happy to be on fragile leaves, but seem ok cleaning off anubias. The shrimp do well on the little leaves.

• Administrators

Are the nitrates from a fertilizer? If they are from fish food only, that'll cause algae often cause other minerals plants need are missing. I'd suggest watching my video on algae, but there are others in the playlist like deficiencies and lighting that would apply as well.