Critique my Scape please!

Calvin

Hi I'm new around here 👋

Sorry for the length of this but im trying to give as much detail and my thought process as I can!  

Honest thoughts on this please? 

I can't quite envisage how it's going to look long term. My plan was the Java fern growing bigger out the wood and eventually blocking out the sight of the filter on the right hand side. The wood has lots of little gaps to jam plants into. The cave in the corner has that massive bit of Java attached, could be split individually if required.  Should I add something other than Java fern to the wood to mix it up a bit? 

There is 2 caves hidden up the back where my pleco lives with water wisteria planted in-between them, I'm hoping this will fill out and give a bit of a backdrop to that part of the tank behind the larger pieces of the wood and provide cover for the caves. 

On the left, the sponge is an experiment  with the Elodea Densa and moving to another tank. I'll explain at the end 😉 I have some Vallis growing over here which is spreading quite well so far, I'm hoping to fill that side of the tank with that, also have anubias on a piece of wood towards the back corner.  I did try the Elodea planted over here but it was messy looking so removed it.

The small plants in front, I can't remember what they are, chain sword maybe? It's not showing any signs of spreading anyway  

I also have a couple of questions.. 

How much space does the filter need around it to work most efficiently? Can I plant closer to it? Seems like wasted space. 

Will there be issues with the anubias being so close to the sponge filter on the left? I know they like shady areas. 

What are the two plants I've pictured, is one a chain sword right enough? 

The Elodea is a bit of an experiment I'm trying, I'm hoping it will attach to the sponge filter and grow though that so I can easily move it around since it's a weighted bottom. The stem on the wood to the right was to see if it would attach and grow up through the wood however I'm having second thoughts about this as I type, looks a bit out of place. 

I've added pictures from all angles so you can see what I have exactly. Should I change anything? Add anything?  I'm welcome to any and all suggestions please!  

Thanks if you got this far 😆

and yes Barry does like to photobomb every picture I take 🤦‍♀️

IMG_20210124_034652.jpg

IMG_20210124_035405.jpg

IMG_20210124_035637.jpg

IMG_20210124_034319.jpg

IMG_20210124_040243.jpg

IMG_20210124_040211.jpg

IMG_20210124_035934.jpg

IMG_20210124_035827.jpg

IMG_20210124_035222.jpg

IMG_20210123_224144.jpg

• Like 2

Q: I can't quite envisage how it's going to look long term. My plan was the Java fern growing bigger out the wood and eventually blocking out the sight of the filter on the right hand side. The wood has lots of little gaps to jam plants into. The cave in the corner has that massive bit of Java attached, could be split individually if required.  Should I add something other than Java fern to the wood to mix it up a bit? 

A: Not sure I can give an answer, that is a matter taste and I am somewhat lacking in that department.

Q: The small plants in front, I can't remember what they are, chain sword maybe? It's not showing any signs of spreading anyway  

A:  Looks like chain sword. Not impossible that this is dwarf sagittaria. This isn't spreading?

image.png.870a23f5178115ea43305b04cf5cd034.png

Q: How much space does the filter need around it to work most efficiently? Can I plant closer to it? Seems like wasted space. 

A: Little or none, your filter almost certainly has enough flow no what is nearby.

Q: Will there be issues with the anubias being so close to the sponge filter on the left? I know they like shady areas. 

A: Anubias are generally pretty tough. I am not sure liking shady areas might not be better phrased as tolerating shady areas better than other plants. Put them where you like them.

Q: The Elodea is a bit of an experiment I'm trying, I'm hoping it will attach to the sponge filter and grow though that so I can easily move it around since it's a weighted bottom. The stem on the wood to the right was to see if it would attach and grow up through the wood however I'm having second thoughts about this as I type, looks a bit out of place. 

A: I see Elodea in the wild frequently, most of the time it is functionally a floating plant. It will grow roots into the substrate eventually. It is not picky.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Daniel. 😀

I have since discovered the small plant is in fact dwarf sag, found it in my purchase history! 🤦🏻‍♂️ No it's not spreading, those are individual plants, I only moved them to there last night and gave another root tab so just maybe they will take off 🤞🏻 

My anubias was starting to get some green spots and after looking it up it could maybe be due to the lighting that's why I moved it up the back. I know it can also be because they are slow growers and maybe not enough movement so under the filter might give it a bit of flow. It was previously in the middle, I'll keep an eye on it see if it makes any difference. 

I only recently bought the Elodea but I'm not keen on the wild look it has, no rhyme or reason to it, just grows roots where it wants! I'm going to move it to another tank I'm planning so it won't go to waste, just not the look I was after for this tank. 

And maybe if the dwarf sag takes off I'll replant some around the filter area to fill it out a bit. 

Thanks for taking the time to reply 👍🏻

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just coming up to two weeks since I first posted. It's good to be able to keep a diary of sorts to follow the tank progress 🙂

Not much seems to have changed in my eyes. Couple of little changes with plant positioning but I've just left it to do is own thing. I've also started dosing daily rather than weekly.  

I've not 100% convinced myself with the plants and scape I've chosen but I'm going to let them grow in and then look to replace them if I don't like the look. The Val is looking good and shooting out quite a few runners so I'm pleased with that. The java is not looking it's best in places, possibly too much light, this is making me rethink that I actually have medium light rather that low. 🤔  It's obviously done well over the years as I never bought this much to begin with I know that! 

The water wisteria is growing but not as fast as I expected however it is filling out at the back.  I think this will eventually get changed down the line somewhere. 

Still waiting for the dwarf sag to do...something! Can take a while to establish and then take off from what I've read so I'm hopeful, it's still alive at least. 

Anubias is doing ok.. I have some new leaves growing so that's encouraging! 

The few pieces of Elodea I left in got caught up in the sponge filter so I've left it there as I see some fish like to have a nibble at it, if it stays there and grows out I'll leave it, I hope it might attach to the sponge filter and cover up the corner a bit more and it could be useful for any fry that might arrive one day. 

IMG_20210204_235747.jpg

Edited by Calvin
  • Like 1