Corydoras and Substrate

Spewing_nonsense_

So, cory(the human) released a new short today from his trip to Peru where he was showing us the substrate of the cories(the fish) habitat. In the comments there were people saying how they had x substrate and switched and then their cories barbells came back. Now an interesting thing was that there were some on both sides, some had gravel and switched to sand, others had sand and switched to gravel, with the previous substrate being the one where the cories didnt have barbells and then grew them back once they switched to new substrate. 

Then there was someone in the comments who mentioned substrate doesnt matter, its water quality that affects wether cories lose their barbells, which made me wonder if anybody has recorded water parameters when their cories had and didnt have barbells to see what might be causing it, and if maybe this is the true cause and what we should be directing people to do rather than switching out substrate.

I currently dont own cories but am planning on getting them and might do some experiments to see, altho I really dont know if I'll be able to see results or not bc I'm not gonna torture the cories who would have "bad water quality"

• Like 1

Ooh! I'll be following this to see what others say. I have Panda Corys and I have sand substrate. So far their little whiskers (I call them that lol) are still good. It's something i'm paranoid about so every morning I make sure to check to see if any have gone missing. 

I thought gravel was "bad" for Corys because of their whiskers, so reading that people have had success with gravel really interests me! 

• Like 1

I have had corys with both gravel and substrate, and never had barbel problems in either. Maybe it's about water quality, but also about maintenance: a poorly mantained / syphoned substrate is going to grow all kinds of stuff that will maybe be bad for the little guys' whiskers and lead to infections.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Machete said:

I have had corys with both gravel and substrate, and never had barbel problems in either. Maybe it's about water quality, but also about maintenance: a poorly mantained / syphoned substrate is going to grow all kinds of stuff that will maybe be bad for the little guys' whiskers and lead to infections.

good point but in the wild the substrate isn't gravel vacved and maintained. 

I have kept gravel and corydoras with no problem either

• Like 1

Just now, James Black said:

good point but in the wild the substrate isn't gravel vacved and maintained. 

I have kept gravel and corydoras with no problem either

In the wild there are no filters either, and the water quality is A+! 😄 I guess that in a river, the current moves the substrate, thus making a "natural syphon"?  

1 minute ago, Machete said:

In the wild there are no filters either, and the water quality is A+! 😄 I guess that in a river, the current moves the substrate, thus making a "natural syphon"?  

yeah good point. theres also lots of plants pulling all the nutrients like nitrates out of water.

I have kept many species of cory doras and loaches in gravel tanks with no issue. Mind you i am picky and spend extra time to find nice semi small, smooth polished stones specifically for my khuli loaches as they burrow through my gravel as apposed to dojo loaches who are autonomous gravel vacs. None have ever had any barbel issues but i also watch my water parameters like a paranoid hawk too. I would be interested to see if someone has information regarding poor water quality being the main issue. 

Edited by Will Billy
Darn auto correct cant read my mind

This leads me to the question: what do you do if you have cories (who want sand, or at least soft and round) with some of the many larger fish that look best with dark substrate? Reviews for black or dark brown sand everywhere are abysmal. Say it's just sand dyed black with god-knows-what. Lots of reviews recommend black diamond 20/40 blasting abrasive (charcoal slag) but the pieces look so sharp and rough.

• Administrators

From selling an uncountable amount of corydoras and helping customers. I find the problem tends to be the food fed, not the substrate. Corydoras will dig past their eyeballs to get food that has fallen into cracks. Something like frozen blood worms stay on top of the substrate where something like a shrimp pellet breaks up and falls in between. Sand prevents things falling into it. However it's not that sand is magically. It's that it prevents the food problem.  So choosing the foods, and substrate when done with some forethought, is a winning combo for fish.

2 hours ago, Cory said:

Corydoras will dig past their eyeballs to get food that has fallen into cracks.

This might be why the Black Diamond sand seems to be okay with corydoras despite what internet wisdom would have you believe. I have never seen my corydoras dig into it, they can't, it's just too dense. The food and everything else just lays on top.

I have kept corydoras for many years and on any of the different substrates you can get for an aquarium and never have I noticed barbels eroding away on any of my fish. I was even roasted a few years ago because of a picture I posted on a popular corydoras keeping page of some of my fish in a tank with eco-complete substrate. I believe, like @Corysaid, that it depends on what you feed and how much you feed. I make sure that plenty of food gets down to the substrate for the corys so that they don't have to go digging down into the substrate for food. 

15 hours ago, Ken said:

This was posted the other day on the CoOp YouTube channel. It's only 37 seconds long but answers the Corydoras substrate concerns. BTW my Pandas do great on Black Diamond blasting sand.

This was the video I was referring to in the original comment where people had commented and led me to ask this discussion

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Never had a problem with my Bronze Corys on gravel. Although I have slightly larger, rounded.... I guess you would call it river rock gravel. My Corys dig in it like crazy, as do my Yo Yos and both have great whiskers. I like to think I keep good water quality. Change it biweekly, and skip feeding a few times a week to give the "cleaners" time to catch up if there is left over food. 55 gallon BTW.

Edited by morphy1701
Added some info.

On 1/24/2021 at 11:36 AM, Machete said:

In the wild there are no filters either, and the water quality is A+!

That's what I thought too. Then one day I caught some wild fishes (not corydoras) and tested the water they came from (an interconnected system of several large ponds). The nitrite level was the maximum my test could read. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fonske said:

That's what I thought too. Then one day I caught some wild fishes (not corydoras) and tested the water they came from (an interconnected system of several large ponds). The nitrite level was the maximum my test could read. 

Yeah see this is why I dont think the motto of mimic nature is necessarily the best. Bc in nature 90% of babies get eaten, theres all sorts of disease and parasite, they're constantly searching for food. Now granted nature does a lot of things right and we should take the good from nature, but not everything from nature is amazing.