Help! Switch from 20 to 29 gallon

Hafton

I would like to upgrade to a 29 gallon planted tank. Currently have an established 20 g community tank (1 bristlenose, 1 bamboo shrimp, 3 amano shrimp, 5 cherry barb, 5 zebra danio, 4 male fancy guppies). 

Anybody have any links for how-to directions or videos? What to do w fish btw tank moves? How long do I wait before adding fish to 29 gallon? Or do I have to set up the 29 gal and let it cycle before moving fish? 

Im very new to the hobby and sincerely appreciate any feedback or tips. Thank you! 

I upgraded a 10 gallon to a 20 gallon a while back. Because the 20 gallon was going to a different spot in the house I could setup the 20 gallon. I then let it cycle then I went to the lfs get fish, after getting the fish from the store I put them in the 20 and waited 4 weeks making sure they were desease free before I added the fish from the 10 gallon. I would suggest to do a simillar method if the 29 is going in a different space in the house.

If you plan on setting up the 29gallon in the same place as the current 20 gallon, heres a thread that will help with that:

Edited by James Black
  • Like 1

If you're breaking the 20 down and replacing it with the 29, just put some of the water in a bucket, net the fish out and put them in the bucket, move the filter and media, and maybe the substrate, over from the 20 to the 29, and put the fish in it.  By moving the media over you will be moving much of the beneficial bacteria also.

You will likely need a larger filter for the 29, but you can run them both for a while until the new one gets seeded with bacteria.

I'd keep an eye on things and let them settle for a week or so before adding more fish.