Plants and cycling

Hello. I am a new fish keeper and need help with plants for my 5 and 10 gallon tanks. My 10 gallon is currently 2 weeks into the fishless cycle while the 5 gallon is just being setup. My question is "is it better to add plants before or after a tank has cycled". Thanks. 

fish_tank_cycling_cebb0f03-e695-4407-a96
WWW.AQUARIUMCOOP.COM

Have you ever seen a fish in the wild living in pure, crystal clear water with no other contaminants? Probably not...

From what I have heard plants-in cycling is easier, but the last time I started a tank without plants I didn’t understand how ammonia and nitrites worked so I have not experimented really.  

Edited by RovingGinger
  • Thanks 1

At worst they absorb ammonia nitrite and nitrate helping to prevent crazy spikes and speeding up the process and prevent algae blooms. At best they already have some beneficial bacteria on them and help seed the tank in addition to the above benefits. 

Some people like to start with fast growing and floating plants then add the slow growers after because they're more susceptible to algae but I've never done that or had a problem because of it

• Thanks 1

On 8/15/2020 at 10:02 PM, Rich B said:

Hello. I am a new fish keeper and need help with plants for my 5 and 10 gallon tanks. My 10 gallon is currently 2 weeks into the fishless cycle while the 5 gallon is just being setup. My question is "is it better to add plants before or after a tank has cycled". Thanks. 

I have experimented with the "fertilizer cycling" method in one of my aquariums awhile back using only plants and Co-Op Easy green fertilizer.  The tank turned out to be one of my most stable and favorite aquariums.  Was monitoring Ammonia, Nitrites & Nitrates throughout the cycling process.  Once the plants and algae started growing, and water parameters stabilized,  I slowly added a few fish at a time.  Seemed to work well for me.

• Like 2

Thank you Dave, I really appreciate your help. I added plants to my 5 gallon this morning and look forward to cycling without the chemicals, although I have nothing against chemicals. I will continue to monitor the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Thank you again 

• 4 weeks later...