Finally got my guppy tank looking good!

redmare

A month ago I got some guppies and I’ve been dealing with illness since then... and I’m finally coming out the other side!! And still with no losses!! But I was finally able to clean the tank up and put in the plants I’d had in holding for a few weeks now, since I was using salt I couldn’t plant them. I had a few plants in during the salt as an experiment, and they didn’t die, but they were just kind of a struggling mess and the whole tank looked gross. Plus with all the maintenance I was doing, I constantly got water drips on the front and stopped being concerned with wiping them... and since they were salty they really stayed. But I cleaned up the glass too! And now I’m finally loving this tank like I planned. It’s still sparse obviously since I just planted, but I think it will look fantastic soon. Also, enjoy this picture of them looking like a guppy flower. 

2C55A8D1-2A6C-4599-80D0-43C42FE3EB7C.jpeg

11320ECB-937B-4205-A0C7-DA3B9B862F83.jpeg

• Like 4

Lovely! Nothing like a sera-o-nip tab social shot. That piece of wood looks amazing! I'll bet a bristle nose pleco would LOVE that set up. One thing we do is use Elmers black foam board from Walmart, cut to fit between the upper and lower rims across the back of the tank to create a matte black backing. We use a couple small pieces of black gorilla tape to fix it on the outside of the back. It makes the planted tank really "pop" with color! It's really cheap, and very easy to do. Some photos of tanks we've done this on are attached. 

Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 1.34.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 1.35.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 1.35.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 1.36.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 1.38.04 PM.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GoldenGardner said:

Can you get drift wood off the beach to put in your tank? 

We’ve never done that. It’s advisable to buy wood from an aquarium store. We even prefer buying _wet_ wood from inside tanks. 

For an article on preparing ocean driftwood, check this out:  https://www.fishwise.co.nz/view-article/11-how-tos/88-how-to-preparing-driftwood

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoldenGardner said:

Those tanks looks great! Can you get drift wood off the beach to put in your tank? 

If you can boil it somehow, I don't see why you couldn't. Before this darn pandemic I used to pick up cute acorn shells while going on walks in perserves. Took them home and boiled them and added them to a tank. Never had a problem arise.

@GoldenGardner @OceanTruth @Fish Folk Almost all my wood was found places, with the exception of my mini tree in my betta tank. My 30 gallon community tank actually has all rocks and wood I collected during the drive from Alberta to Ontario! The wood in the guppy tank I found in a forest behind my house and the rocks came from my driveway. I just spray all the stuff down with a good jet of hot water and go for it. The only issue is having to make sure the wood stays weighted down until it gets waterlogged in the tank. 

• Like 1