Suggestion Box

Daniel

I follow a few threads, some sections just so I can check in when major things happen. 

Part of the issue I'm having is that I've receiving way too many notifications.  One example is following journal entries or any thread really.  In the current format, when you follow a thread you get a notification when anyone posts to the thread.

I would like to suggest an option to only receive a notification when the AUTHOR of the thread posts a new message.

We already receive updates when (and can control these) someone posts and it is in reply to something we've posted. In addition you also have the option to receive daily or weekly summaries.  I think the useful thing missing is cutting out the reply posts that I may or may not be interested to read, and only really be notified when a thread I sign up for has an update from the author in question.

Granted, if someone adds something of value, I'd probably prefer to hear it, but I also have to have some effort on my own part to keep up with the conversation.  Either that, or whenever I do make it back to the thread to catch up, to go ahead and read through any new posts I may have missed.

image.png.13e2df411162907ba96f7fcbe16dfb48.png

• Like 1

On 5/26/2022 at 4:26 PM, Streetwise said:

@nabokovfan87, I looked at the notification settings, and I don’t see any options that precisely line-up with your idea.

Perhaps follow the author, rather than the thread.

Correct. It would be a benefit to add this feature.

Following the Author would basically open the door for 10-50x the notifications when the goal is to trim some of them off of my email / notifications.

On 5/26/2022 at 4:33 PM, Streetwise said:

@nabokovfan87, the forum is running Invision Community, if you want to research what is available.

https://invisioncommunity.com

I don't know if the there is access, but this might be helpful to look into:
https://invisioncommunity.com/developers/docs/development/extensions/corenotifications-r154/

It looks like that is how it's sending the notification to us.  It mentions, but doesn't go into how that is customized to add to or amend what notification options are available.

The logic being,  right now you have a notification system based on IF/Them or some kind of a When instance.
IF (New post == true)
Then
   Notify --> Followers

The option being helpful would just be a nested IF.
IF (New post == true)
  IF (Author(new_post) == Author (Thread))
  Then
     Notify ---> Followers.

I'm trying to search the invision community dev forums, but it's basically asking me if I pay for their services.  They do have a place to "request a feature" but it looks like there is some mechanism to customize that notification list.

I totally understand if it's just not possible to do because it's not something you guys have access to, but if it is, it might be helpful. 

I don't know if this is something only I would use, or if this is something others would as well.

This is the closest thing I found to get towards the solution.

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/433930-custom-notifications-supporttopic/

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 2

I was trying to find it older thread to post an update.  I know it's common on a lot of forums / search features, but....

We can't search for something with 2 characters.  (examples being PH, KH, GH, etc.)

If I search something with 3, it works, but with 2 only.... no dice.

@nabokovfan87, I don't see custom development in the cards for your idea ($$$), but if you can find an application or plugin for Invision Community, perhaps. For example, Trader Feedback is an application for the forum.

@Lemon, I made up replies for a couple of locked single-post threads. The settings only let me include or exclude forums. Let me know what you see now.

• Like 1

Can we add a species profile sub forum under breeding? A place where we can have an index of species people first hand have experience breeding? Figure it will help some people with their research. Ideally, posts are in terms of an article, meet a standard structure, and include pictures. We have some coverage in the Journals, but having an article style post where info isn't lost in pages of updates and conversation would be a nice resource. Possibly even could be a members only function. 

On 5/27/2022 at 7:14 PM, Streetwise said:

@nabokovfan87, regarding search, sometimes it can be more effective to do a Google search with an extra parameter, such as site:forum.aquariumcoop.com

This is a useful strategy that is not specific to this forum.

Thank you for this tip! I just used it and it was so much better than the built in forum search.

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Any chance it would help to have a "beginner help" section as a highlight on the forum?

General tips and tricks and stuff like that? Places to ask the more common things and we can have some key pins to threads there to help with passing common blog articles and stuff like that to newcomers here?

On 9/24/2022 at 10:32 AM, BettaBabe94 said:

Probably been said, but I would love it this was on an app 

Mobile site works well.  Some forums do support general apps. I just use Firefox.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I don’t actually have a suggestion about searches, but I do have a suggestion about improving the website in the forums. Is there anyway you could add a button so that I can look at the post that I made and the replies that the other people have made? I saw that I had messages, but when I thought I was clicking on one, I actually opened up a persons profile. Then, when I went back to home, I couldn’t figure out how to get back to the answers to my question. If you already have this functionality, is there a way you could make it a little more obvious for those of us who can’t seem to find things? Thanks so much! 😋

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
On 2/16/2023 at 7:01 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Best to delete them. I never worked them out! 😂

I have found this in the settings and have disabled it 😉 the users can now ask questions without future harassment via email.