measuring accurate pH

Knew tooth is

First, I hope that this post does not violate guidelines. In any case: In terms of pH, I have difficulty matching the colorimetric guide provided in a liquid- based kit that I use. With the "high range" pH determination, the values for 7.4 and 8.0 are difficult for me to distinguish. Can anyone recommend a more easily readable assay kit for pH with good resolution? Thanks.

• Like 1

Does anyone own a good ph pen and one of those 14$ ones?  do the 14$ ones work and agree with the expensive ones?  I'd be happy knowing my pH even with +/- 0.2 error as i have the same issue with the high range ph.

• Like 1

You can buy a cheap one and test it with distilled water. Distilled water should have a pH of 7.0 if you test it immediately. If it's been exposed to air for a bit it could come back slightly acidic as it would absorb carbon dioxide from the air and start to move towards the acidic range. If you test it immediately, it should be 7.0.

• Like 1

People who have gotten cheap pH meters often end up regretting it. Use pH calibration fluids (or powder) to check calibration. Don't use distilled water.

Draw water into a container and test there. I put the probe in a 50 mL glass beaker for 5 min and then read. Then shake the probe dry and cap.

Don't let the probe sit in water as it will degrade.

• Like 1

I have 2 meters, a lab grade one and a cheepee. As long as I calibrate the cheepee ( i use 7.1 and 10.1) it is within .1 of the expensive one. I use it weekly and only bring out the other one occasionally to check. The trick is absolutely to spend a few bucks on the cal fluids. The lab one has a seperate temp meter and is kind of a pain

1 hour ago, starsman20 said:

I have 2 meters, a lab grade one and a cheepee. As long as I calibrate the cheepee ( i use 7.1 and 10.1) it is within .1 of the expensive one. I use it weekly and only bring out the other one occasionally to check. The trick is absolutely to spend a few bucks on the cal fluids. The lab one has a seperate temp meter and is kind of a pain

Do you calibrate the cheap one every time to get that within .1?

Just now, CT_
1 hour ago, starsman20 said:

Do you calibrate the cheap one every time to get that within .1?

I do. Takes 2 minutes. I keep small mason jars with the cal fluid in the fishroom.

378e7fcf-93ae-48a3-ab69-54ac692af1d3.jpg

426016e5-2a1c-40ec-9d39-df9e74acad0a.jpg

609ea440-43ac-42f0-9297-ef5ff4879e4f.jpg

• Like 1

Tried my new $14 pH probe. After 1 point calibration, pH of the aquarium water in the tanks was close to 7,6. This value corresponds, in a sense, to the liquid based colorimetric "high range" assay, in which difficulty in discerning color comparisons yielded a range between 7.6 (or perhaps even 7.4 using the non-high range pH assay) to pH 8. So, the cheapo pH probe looks like it works just fine. Thanks again for your advice.