Second Round of ParaCleanse

Evan

Hi Everyone.

I finished my second round of ParaCleanse as directed on the box and my fish still have these crazy long feces. Today (Friday) was the first day after the 25% water change and the first day I fed them since last Saturday. I fed very lightly.

I'm sorry the pictures did not come out clearly but I think you can see the length of the fecal matter in the female Cyprichromis and the thickness of the fecal matter in the yellow-tailed male. The one coming out of the male was actually as least as long as the one coming out of the female but it broke right before I took the pictures.

Should I do another round of ParaCleanse or switch to another medication like levamisole (Fritz Expel-P) or flubendazole? Maybe this isn't a parasite at all?

Thanks!

Female.jpg

Male.jpg

Just a side question Evan....did you have any issues with your cycle? I just started Paracleanse, and am a bit concerned about harming beneficial bacteria. Thanks.

I often have plenty of fish with really long feces (livebearers), and I don't think the length is necessarily related to the presence of parasites.

29 minutes ago, quikv6 said:

Just a side question Evan....did you have any issues with your cycle? I just started Paracleanse, and am a bit concerned about harming beneficial bacteria. Thanks.

I often have plenty of fish with really long feces (livebearers), and I don't think the length is necessarily related to the presence of parasites.

Cory suggests paraclense for everyone. If you have had issues it could be that you didn't cycle it properly

49 minutes ago, Evan said:

Hi Everyone.

I finished my second round of ParaCleanse as directed on the box and my fish still have these crazy long feces. Today (Friday) was the first day after the 25% water change and the first day I fed them since last Saturday. I fed very lightly.

I'm sorry the pictures did not come out clearly but I think you can see the length of the fecal matter in the female Cyprichromis and the thickness of the fecal matter in the yellow-tailed male. The one coming out of the male was actually as least as long as the one coming out of the female but it broke right before I took the pictures.

Should I do another round of ParaCleanse or switch to another medication like levamisole (Fritz Expel-P) or flubendazole? Maybe this isn't a parasite at all?

Thanks!

Female.jpg

Male.jpg

My angelfish has a poop like that for YEARS. I feel like it as it may be a sign of parasites its one of those thing where it could back up another symptom (ex. if I have a sore throat chances are it isn't anything serious, but If I have a sore throat AND a cough it could be a sign of covid) If the paraclense didn't do anything and the fish seems healthy and is eating, its probably fine and I would stop treatment.

Honestly, that poop looks fine to me.   As long as it isn't clear or whitish, and looks like brown/greenish poop, which in that picture it does.  I think you're fine.   You can do another round of Paracleanse to be extra safe, and it won't hurt, but from what I see in that picture, that fish poop looks ok,   Long and stringy is just how some fish do it.  I would probably just keep them in quarantine and observe.

• Thanks 1

Sometimes the poops will have in them bright, shiny things that I can't identify. To me they look like small air bubbles. Is it possible that the fish are swallowing air when they feed at the surface and these are bubbles making their way through the guts?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Evan said:

Sometimes the poops will have in them bright, shiny things that I can't identify. To me they look like small air bubbles. Is it possible that the fish are swallowing air when they feed at the surface and these are bubbles making their way through the guts?

It could be swallowed air, but its probably more like gas from digestion.  Bacteria in the intestines of animals can break things down and create gases.   I think it's pretty normal as well.  I would monitor everything, but sounds like things are going well on your end.