Does a HOB prefilter and extra sponge increase filter capacity?

CT_

I have a 5.5g tank and a topfin 10 HOB filter with a aquarium coop prefilter, a small square of the sponge filter and a small square of floss (thats really all that fits).  Is that sufficient if i go out and upgrade to a 20g tank?  I'll probably add an airstone for oxygen too.

This will depend on your stocking levels and how many plants you have, but many people run a single sponge filter in a 20g. I think you will find that the biological filtration is more than adequate, you may need to change out the floss more often to avoid floaties in the water. That isn't going to hurt your fish, just maybe annoy you depending on your tolerance for maintenance and particulates.

• Like 2

Yeah, I just got floating plants (still in alum right now) and I have several plants already in there, and more planned.  initial stock would be low (same as my 5g) but knowing me I'd add more fish.

Perhaps the best plan is to keep the HOB short term and upgrade as i up my stock and things get iffier.  What are indicators that you don't have enough filtration?  Just ammonia?  or are there other indicators?