Stocking for 95 Gallon--too big of a cleanup crew?

KaitieG

Hello everyone,

The 95 Gallon project is progressing to the point of making some stocking decisions.  Currently, there's a very cheap, very nice group of corydoras available on our local fish club auction, and they're precipitating my question.  I LOVE bottom-dweller/cleanup crew fish, but I don't want to end up overstocking.  Here's what I'd LIKE to do (all added very gradually.  Starting with 8-10 guppies who will increase from there)

-Livebearers, main focus of the tank--mostly guppies, plus a few platys and they'll increase their own population to be controlled eventually with the planned last addition of the tank:
-1 Angelfish

Then I'd really LIKE to add--

-Kuhli loaches

-Corydoras

-Hillstream loaches

Too many cleanup fish?  How many of each for the best behavior/balance?  With a population of guppies/platys and an angel (eventually), how many of each would you suggest for a 95 gallon tank?  I know the guppys and platys will carry plenty of bioload as they reproduce, so how do I figure out the bioload of the "other guys"?

Just now, Colu said:

Have you consider snails and bristlesnose plecos for your clean up crew

I'm sure we'll have snails too, and I considered a bristlenose, but I want to do swords, and I hear they like to eat those.  My choice of cleanup crew fish is because I just plain LIKE all of those fish!

• Like 1

For a 95 gallon i would do like 6 khuli loaches,  3 cory doras, and 1 or 2 hill stream loaches to start. That would be a good starting point for your soon to be growing livebearer population. They shouldnt increase your bioload to much, and gives you some wiggle room in case you want to add other pets. 

I believe that there should be at least 6 Corydoras in a school. They look way better in a larger group, and are also a lot happier. Especially in a 95 gallon, you have a lot of room for a large school (6 or more) of Corydoras (bigger group if they are smaller species like pandas, pygmies, or habrosus), a group of aroud 6 or more Kuhli loaches, and some hillstream loaches.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CorydorasEthan said:

I believe that there should be at least 6 Corydoras in a school. They look way better in a larger group, and are also a lot happier. Especially in a 95 gallon, you have a lot of room for a large school (6 or more) of Corydoras (bigger group if they are smaller species like pandas, pygmies, or habrosus), a group of aroud 6 or more Kuhli loaches, and some hillstream loaches.

I agree. Go for the 2 lots of 9 corys. Bigger schools are always cooler to look at. It's a big tank, you can figure out the bioloads later when the guppies take over.

• Like 3

I don't think your idea seems too much at all. Just make sure those schooling kuhlis and corydoras have a good school each (6+). Since you have a 95g there's no reason to make a minimal school where they'll still be a bit uncomfortable. the more the merrier with those guys.

• Like 1