Boiling cholla wood

Will Billy

I was thinking of getting some cholla wood, primarily for shrimp, but as a bonus i wanted to boost my tannins in my water. I definitely want to boil them to remove any loose debris but mainly kill off any unwanted bacteria. What do you think would be the sweet spot to boil it just enough to kill bacteria, but not leech out to many tannins in the process. My first thought was boil it for 10 minutes, but that is just a guess. 

I assume there won't be live bacteria on dry wood but possibly spores or cysts, Would be hard to nail down what temp and for how long to destroy them, but steaming instead of boiling may help you keep in the tannins, better yet use a instapot or pressure cooker and don't submerge the wood. Not things I have tried just my thoughts/ideas on it. GL

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OceanTruth said:

The only problem I have had with cholla wood is that it took a decent amount of boiling time to actually get it to sink. I think it took about 30 minutes?

Thanks for the heads up, I dont mind taking time to weight it down, so i can avoid boiling out all my tannins. Thanks guys

• Like 1

If you don't want to loose tannins I'd steam them.  110C for 45 min or 121C for 15 min should do the trick (these are the times I'd autoclave labware at back when I was in grad school) .  For a pressure cooker that translates to 6 and 15 psi respectively if you're near sealevel.  You're probably also fine with a pot and vegtable steamer with the lid on.  If you're really paranoid steam for 1-2hours though practically speaking i bet 30 min is enough.

• Like 1

Thank you guys so very much for all your input. I hadnt thought about steaming or pressure cookers. Gosh i love this forum. Quick shout out to streetwise that was hilarious, made me smile. 

1 hour ago, Streetwise said:

As a certified tannin sommelier, I approve!

I too wish to be a certified tannin sommelier lol. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Will Billy said:

Thanks for the heads up, I dont mind taking time to weight it down, so i can avoid boiling out all my tannins. Thanks guys

1 hour ago, OceanTruth said:

I seriously admire your patience!

Stick a small rock or two in the middle. Job done. It will stay down.

• Like 1

If you put it in a pot of cold water and bring it to a boil anything that could make you or I sick (and I'd assume fish) would be dead before it even reaches boiling. 

The tannin rich water from boiling it would also be sterile, and could be cooled down then used to dose the tank with tannins.