Does Maracyn/Erythromycin harm beneficial bacteria?

quikv6

Hey all,

I am considering medicating my community Molly and Platy tank with Maracyn. I have had 3 fish pass out of seemingly nowhere, with nothing in the water parameters indicating a change or problem. I haven't brought in any new fish either. Any new fish are offspring from the original 7 I started with nearly a year ago.

I figured if I do medicate, Maracyn would be a good start, at Co-ops recommended Preventative dose. (A 1 day dose sustained throughout a week, with no water changes.) Would Maracyn negatively impact the biological bacteria that maintains my cycle?

Also, If there are any other ideas as to medication/observations, I am all ears. Thanks in advance!

Thanks. To be honest,  I'm not a fan of Stability,  and much prefer Fritzzyme 7. I will add that, but it sounds like I don't need to. 

I was really looking for something concrete on if it would disturb the beneficial bacteria?  A google search seems to show much conflicting info/ opinions.

• Like 1

• Administrators

It doesn’t disrupt my tanks at home or the store. However I think it can disrupt bacteria in newer systems that don’t have a robust colony of bacteria. In my systems, the bacteria that thrives must have already lived through treatment many times and therefore current dosages we use to cure fish seem to not harm the beneficial bacteria.

5 hours ago, quikv6 said:

Hey all,

I am considering medicating my community Molly and Platy tank with Maracyn. I have had 3 fish pass out of seemingly nowhere, with nothing in the water parameters indicating a change or problem. I haven't brought in any new fish either. Any new fish are offspring from the original 7 I started with nearly a year ago.

I figured if I do medicate, Maracyn would be a good start, at Co-ops recommended Preventative dose. (A 1 day dose sustained throughout a week, with no water changes.) Would Maracyn negatively impact the biological bacteria that maintains my cycle?

Also, If there are any other ideas as to medication/observations, I am all ears. Thanks in advance!

I don't see maracyn damage my cycle on established tanks either, but a full 5 day course on a brand new tank might mean you need to watch for an ammonia spike. However if you have had losses from one year old fish, I would be suspicous of a parasite load rather than a bacterial infection. Parasites can be silently present for a long time, and then with age or stress of any kind suddenly manifest.

• Like 2

Great info. Thank you Cory and Brandy. The tank is pretty well established. My plan was to do the Trio separately,  and do each like suggested for a preventative dose. (One day full treatment, let marinate for 7 days).

I was avoiding the trio all at once because there's a good amount of young fry and juveniles in the tank. After the Maracyn, my plan is to go right to the Paracleanse. I also have prazipro on hand as well. 

Thanks guys!