Hi all! I’m trying to identify this tiny baby snail that hitch hiked into my tank, I do have nerites laying eggs and have yet to see any hatch but I’m almost certain this isn’t a nerite based on the foot and it appeared just after adding salvinia minima. Anyways, since the photo is a little hard to make out, it’s mostly transparent with brown speckled from the tip of the spiral which does protrude out not in like a ramshorn.. I’m guessing and hoping it’s a mystery snail but also just have no idea. I want to properly care for it not eradicate it but if it’s a pesty type of snail I do have assassin snails too to keep a population under control.

https://ibb.co/HrczqJD https://ibb.co/swsdpZg https://ibb.co/tzqYNvb https://ibb.co/0q6FJLp https://ibb.co/6v2L9GY

thanks for any help!  

Very possible! 
the shell shape is pretty close

just a bit more info, the mouth is similar to a nerite but I think most snails mouths are like that?? Antennae (or what are they called?) are short not super long but could grow into them 

I’ll update as the lil guy grows more,

But any other guesses?

• Like 1

Just now, Colu said:

What snails do you in your tank

I have nerite snails and a betta in this tank. Nerite snail eggs everywhere but the nerite snail eggs have never hatched and not the right conditions to hatch as its fresh water. I recently added new plants so this is certainly a hitch hiker 

Just now, Colu said:

If you use salt in your tank it could be nerites baby

I haven’t used salt in quite some time maybe 4 months ago and many water changes in between (at least 25% every couple days and a few 50-70% water changes due to meds for betta) so I have high doubts about nerite babies but I will follow it’s development, the foot and body shape remind me of apple, mystery, and bladder snails 

1 minute ago, Colu said:

Do you keep apple snail in any other tank

I don’t, I’ve never owned anything other than the 4 nerites I have and 2 assassin snails I have. 

I’m certain it’s a hitch hiker from the floater plants I ordered off Amazon or a very strong willed nerite since there must only be tiny trace amounts of salt left in my tank as I was also trying to remove medications 

1 hour ago, Squid88 said:

looks like a bladder snail to me, in my tank they range from dark grey/black to very clear in foot and shell. 

I think you may be right upon looking at hundreds of photos, I still can’t quite tell so will definitely keep posting here as age progresses. I noticed also the shell is a right handed spiral of about 3-4 whorls. I assume the color will develop more but the specks of brown and the short antennae are leading me to believe it’s either apple or bladder. 
thank you guys dearly!! I love trying to figure this out and will keep posting! 

Bladder snails are "left handed" which means the whorls on the shell point to the left side.

Yours has a thick short body similar to a baby pond snail, which also have short antenna. Here's a picture of a little freckled baby pond snail next to some tiny baby mystery snails.  

20200827_203822.jpg.e2753c7e22f188633aa0627202f8a0da.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lynze said:

Bladder snails are "left handed" which means the whorls on the shell point to the left side.

Yours has a thick short body similar to a baby pond snail, which also have short antenna. Here's a picture of a little freckled baby pond snail next to some tiny baby mystery snails.  

20200827_203822.jpg.e2753c7e22f188633aa0627202f8a0da.jpg

Yes! I just saw a comparison of bladder vs pond and that’s where I noticed the right hand left hand differential.😅 Got confused in my last reply! That’s pretty much exactly what my little guy looks like that’s the closest I’ve seen. Curious if they’re hermaphrodites? 

Absolutely. Babies babies everywhere 🙂 thethey get quite a bit larger than bladder snails. I like to keep them in my shrimp tanks, because they eat hydra and keep the populations in check. One of my favorite snails. They are hard workers. Pretty easy to keep their numbers in check by not over feeding. 

16 minutes ago, Lynze said:

Absolutely. Babies babies everywhere 🙂 thethey get quite a bit larger than bladder snails. I like to keep them in my shrimp tanks, because they eat hydra and keep the populations in check. One of my favorite snails. They are hard workers. Pretty easy to keep their numbers in check by not over feeding. 

I love babies and setting up a new 6.5gal long I was going to establish the nerites and betta in but maybe I’ll do this snail instead.

still have my fingers crossed a little for it to be a mystery snail cause that would be awesome 🤓 but that pic you sent is so accurate! Maybe I’ll just have to set up a mystery tank too~

7 hours ago, Lynze said:

One of the best ways to tell is pond snails lack an operculum. The little flat plate you see mystery snails hauling around behind them, and use to close themselves up in their shell. 

20210121_233909.jpg.beff182e814bd601e9406ffa1edc4c67.jpg

Wow thank you!! I couldn’t find any subtle differences like that in my research. I’ll have to look out for that as he grows up. 
if anyone else knows any subtle differences in snails like that I’m sure it would help others too!