I think there is a portal in my tank....

Brandy

I used to think it was weird that people would say "I think I have 6 of those fish".

Then I put khuli loaches in a very heavily planted tank. I don't see them all at the same time for weeks. But that made sense.

Today I couldn't find the 3rd Electric Blue Acara. I can tell them apart. I knew who was missing. There are very few hiding places since the driftwood is still floating on the surface in that tank. I fed--still no fish. I moved the floating driftwood--no fish. I checked behind the sponge filters and under the heaters. Behind all the plants. 

5 minutes later, there were 3 electric blue acaras cleaning up the remnants of the food. HOW?

Do you have any mystery dissapearing fish?

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Once I wanted to move an entire guppy population from one tank to a bigger tank. I think there were at least 50 of them in there. Well container after container I started to move them to their new home. As the number of them remaining started to dwindle I started dropping the water level down more and more so they'd be easier to catch.

Finally I got to the point where I thought there was one left but she was too good at hiding. I decided to leave the tank alone and waited about 20 minutes until she came out. When I get back to the tank there are 10 females and 1 male swimming around in about 3 inches of water. How the heck that many hid from me is beyond me. I was shocked. I was wearing a head lamp too so I could see better into the bushy plant areas.

So yes. Yes, I do believe our small creations of nature have portals in them.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Brandy said:

One time I set up a tank and added rocks and new plants, new substrate...3 days later I realized there was a guppy fry in there. I didn't do it. I think it was a case of spontaneous generation.

That pretty much sums up guppies. Lol. I'm sure my guppies are dropping right now as I comment about them out of spite.

I sometimes lose a brilliant blue and red betta in a 10g tank, I kid you not.

Giant magenta mystery snail, at least as big as a ping pong ball, can somehow turn invisible among the hornwort in my livebearer tank.

My cat will sometimes disappear, but as soon as you shake a bag of treats, he'll reappear right behind you like he's been there all along. We call it "dropping in out of catspace" and I'm convinced there's also a "fishspace."

• Haha 2

There have been several times where I thought my turtle ATE a fishy tankmate and I'd lament the loss for a considerable time. Then the next morning, the fish would be swimming around just fine – giving the turtle a bit of a stink eye.

I have no idea if they're reliving the story of Jonah and the whale or are just great at 6 hour long hide-n-seek.

(for the record, Jonah and the whale sounds a lot more interesting)

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, gardenman said:

I have an otocinclus that I see about once every three months or so. He's in my heavily planted twenty high and just lies low. I'm always a bit surprised when he pops up. 

I have otocinclus too but its a bit of a different story.

I got new juvenile otocinclus so they are pretty small. Sometimes I can't find them. I search the tank high and low. Then a few hours later they pop up again! They hide really easy but then pop up again! Lol!

5 hours ago, Brandy said:

I used to think it was weird that people would say "I think I have 6 of those fish".

Then I put khuli loaches in a very heavily planted tank. I don't see them all at the same time for weeks. But that made sense.

Today I couldn't find the 3rd Electric Blue Acara. I can tell them apart. I knew who was missing. There are very few hiding places since the driftwood is still floating on the surface in that tank. I fed--still no fish. I moved the floating driftwood--no fish. I checked behind the sponge filters and under the heaters. Behind all the plants. 

5 minutes later, there were 3 electric blue acaras cleaning up the remnants of the food. HOW?

Do you have any mystery dissapearing fish?

Back when I first started keeping fish I had guppies disappear from a 5.5 gallon tank  . . .  twice, from two different tanks in two different locations.  I never found them.  They were both small tanks with only a few fish, so they didn't have time to eat it if it died and I never found a body on the floor.  I'm convinced they teleported out of the tank.

3 hours ago, Streetwise said:

Does anyone actually know how many Pygmy Corydoras they have?

Of course I do.  It's somewhere between 12 and 20.

• Haha 1

Lol, these are all great. A while ago I had some fake rock decor from a big box store that was hollow. One night I couldn't find the tank's inhabitant, looked everywhere, and moved the stand thinking that he had jumped out. I look back in the tank, and see my betta looking annoyed at me for disturbing him lol. My guess for what happened is he got sucked into a portal to Aquarium Coop for a vacation, then came back. Or went into the hollow rock, the first seems much more likely though!

Edited by FlyingFishKeeper
  • Haha 2

Maybe this is the true difference between people who can keep fish alive and people who can’t. After a certain amount of time in the hobby, the fish fairy comes and puts a portal in your tank. Then if conditions get bad the fish just hop out for a bit until things get better!

• Haha 1

Yup. Every time I lose a fish I'm convinced it has died and expect to find the half eaten carcass somewhere. I'll look and stir everything up, check the filter/pump, etc.. No fish. Two days later, there it is with an innocent expression on it's scaly face demanding to be fed.

• Like 1