Transferring brine shrimp to grow out

AudreyB

1st time working with brine shrimp. Got a great hatch with the Ziss hatchery. A little confused on what to do next. They are so tiny, can I strain them with a brine shrimp net to go in my grow out tank? How do I get them in there with out taking all the nasty Ziss water with them?

I remember Jimmy did a video on his youtube channel (Jimmy Gimbal) with Dean about brine shrimp. I think the title was something like "Best Fish Food." Dean shows how he strains brine shrimp out of his hatchery to feed his fish. He wasn't using a Ziss Hatchery, but the principle is the same.

Basically he drains the water (with the brine of course) from the hatchery into a cup. Then he pours the cup into a sieve (you can use your brine shrimp net). Then using water from the faucet he transfers the brine from the sieve back into the cup. Now the brine is in fresh water in a cup ready to feed.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, AudreyB said:

So I used both the brine shrimp net and the paper towel and they both worked nicely. Thanks for posting the videos and guidance,  a couple weeks and they’ll be ready! 

Great work! Are you growing them out for fish food or are you running a brine shrimp aquarium? Either way I commend your efforts! That's some fishy love if you ask me. :)

Thanks! I’m going to grow them out and feed them to my fish. I’m still hoping I get that far considering I have to keep them alive for the next 2-3 weeks. And I know that “smell” that Cory mentions if you don’t keep the water clean! My next task will be to work on a water change tomorrow. I plan on using a flashlight to get them all in one area, then siphoning out some water and replacing with ready to go salt water. 

• Like 1

Just now, AudreyB said:

🤦🏼‍♀️ Found them all dead this morning. Have no idea what happened. I changed some water yesterday, feeding spirolina. Will try again. It doesn’t seem by all comments that it should be this difficult. 

Sorry to hear that. That's a bummer...

I don't know how difficult it is, because I've never tried it before. Cory had an outdoor brine shrimp tub which blew my mind, so I'm definitely interested in it and want to try it one of these days.

Maybe the salinity was off after the water change? Just a guess.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, AudreyB said:

🤦🏼‍♀️ Found them all dead this morning. Have no idea what happened. I changed some water yesterday, feeding spirolina. Will try again. It doesn’t seem by all comments that it should be this difficult. 

You’ll need to set up a small tank that operates like a grow out salt water tank. Shrimp require saline water and healthy parameters. Set up a small grow out — a 5.5 gal, for example, with the same salt parameters as your hatchery (multiply 3x teaspoons / per liter / for 5.5 gallons). Use lots of airstones. Use a lightly bubbling, pre-conditioned sponge filter. Once bbs have hatched, pour out over a shrimp net to catch the shrimp, and put that into the hatchery tank. I’ve heard spirulina will feed them. We used to break open capsules from cheap health supplements. Not easy to get right! And that tank will REEEK!!! But if you get it right, the fish will thank you to the moon.

• Thanks 1

I’ve set up my hatchery again. Going to give it another try. 🤞 

Just going to throw this out there as a suggestion that might save you some headaches.

Adult brine shrimp are generally a pretty mediocre food for most fish. They have a lot of shell which has little nutritional value. Most of the nutrition from them would come from whatever they ate in the last 30-60 minutes.

Freshly hatched brine is quite nutritious because they still contain the nutrients from what they got out of the egg. Similar to how a baby fish feeds off the egg sack for the first day or so. I didn't see if you mentioned what you are feeding ITT, but if it is something that adult brine is a good size for, they will likely gobble up baby brine as well.

There are a lot of other foods that are also more nutritious than adult brine as well, white worms, micro worms, daphnia, red wigglers. Just depends what you are feeding.

• Like 1