Does anyone else cheap out on testing reagents?

CT_

1 hour ago, CT_ said:

Specifically the API ammonia and nitrate are pretty easy to cut in half (4 vs 8 drops and 5 vs 10 drops respectively), and measuring 2.5ml is pretty easy and accurate with a 10cent syringe.

Well I feel like a moron. I used to work in a lab, have a bio/chem degree, and am a cheapskate...but never thought to do this!

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Doug_E said:

Well I feel like a moron. I used to work in a lab, have a bio/chem degree, and am a cheapskate...but never thought to do this!

ha! yeah I still do work in a lab.  I thought about buying cheap micro pipettes so i could do 1ml reactions but then I realized the disposables would end up being more expensive than tests.  I suppose I could reuse tips... 🤔

17 hours ago, CT_ said:

ha! yeah I still do work in a lab.  I thought about buying cheap micro pipettes so i could do 1ml reactions but then I realized the disposables would end up being more expensive than tests.  I suppose I could reuse tips... 🤔

I use a 3mL disposable pipette for weeks at at time. I'm only using it to draw test water and not anything else. It isn't nearly the same as lab conditions where you have to assume anything left out is contaminated and will spoil your results. 

Another tip to help reading the lower volume...

• Put the test chart on a table in a well lit area (daylight or a 5000K lightbulb is best)
  • take the cap off the vial when it is time to read the result
  • place the vial on the chart starting at 0ppm
  • look down through the vial and move it along the results until the colors match.

I find this MUCH easier, even with the full 5mL. It avoid the various lighting effects you get from a round glass tube and makes it much easier to see the colors side by side.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2021 at 3:50 PM, Doug_E said:
On 1/21/2021 at 1:58 PM, CT_ said:

Specifically the API ammonia and nitrate are pretty easy to cut in half (4 vs 8 drops and 5 vs 10 drops respectively), and measuring 2.5ml is pretty easy and accurate with a 10cent syringe.

I also feel like a moron for the same reasons. 🙈 Thank you @CT_. I will be doing this from now on.

I definitely reuse my 10ml pipettes until they break. I have some labeled for different meds and one for each tank for testing water and such. There are a lot of pipettes laying around my house. 😄

Edited by Hobbit