Help!!! My tank is ugly!!!

Lori

I seriously have no idea what plants I have and what would work. Yes, there is a filter cartridge in there. Wanted it to grow some bacteria before the one in the filter dies!  Not even sure if this works with this kind of filter!!!!  Ugh, I hate that I’m so new, but I’m really willing to learn

any suggestions are appreciated, just be nice to me 🤣

• Like 1

Looks good,   im not a pro by anymeans either but i believe you have a few amazon swords in there which might get pretty big, maybe find a few crypts they tend to stay a little shorter..  but i really like the different  levels,   and my experience with most other plants is they will only grow as big as they are allowed so probably manageable 

Hi there!

I think that you should make the tank how you want it....so whatever that is I would research what would work well in your tank.

Quick not on the filter situation, if you go to Youtube and search for "optimize your HOB filter", Cory has a couple different videos that will help you out a ton.

• Thanks 1

I think you have healthy looking new plants, I see amazon and ozelot swords, hygrophila corymbosa maybe, and lymnophilla sessifolia maybe. They appear to be placed appropriately for their size. The crypt will love root tabs in its top level, as it won't get enough out of the gravel. Also, it doesn't need bright light, so if you get algae, maybe move that level down a little.

Your rocks are many different colors, and all very high contrast. In a small tank that can look a little busy at first. If you really love them all, that will calm down as they age, grow algae, and plants grow in around them.

If you are still concerned, I would try picking a more unified theme, with rocks in just one or two color families--all shades of brown and red, or all shades of black and gray. However, the black substrate can be really fun with high contrast rocks popping out of it too, my teen would LOVE the black and red combo. As @Squeegee79 says, it is really up to you!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh! one other thing, you can either add a background (I reccomend black for this tank--you can paint it with cheap acrylic craft paint, or use vinyl) or hide all the cords by taping them along the corners and rim. That tidies things up really quickly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As far as a background goes you can paint it as someone else stated. However, there is the option of using static cling 100% blackout vinyl film as well. Just used it on my new setup that I started. Really like that if I ever want or need to remove it all I have to do is peel it off. It is reusable as well. Not expensive at all. 

I really think that making the background black will take your tank to the next level as far as looks go. 

Good luck in whatever you decide. 

Keep working on it till you like it. One thing is to wait and see how the plants grow in. After a couple months you may want more or be quite happy. The hard scape is nice because you can change it around easily (if you are not happy) until you like it. That's The key for me, making sure I like the tank (so I interact with it) tanks I dislike get neglected (shame on me) but it can take time for it to look how I want especially when it comes to growing in plants. Keep up the good work. Learning is part of the process.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Garren B said:

As far as a background goes you can paint it as someone else stated. However, there is the option of using static cling 100% blackout vinyl film as well. Just used it on my new setup that I started. Really like that if I ever want or need to remove it all I have to do is peel it off. It is reusable as well. Not expensive at all. 

I really think that making the background black will take your tank to the next level as far as looks go. 

What kind of static cling vinyl did you get. I checked for it, but there are so many! Any suggestions?  Thx. Lori

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Garren B said:

What kind of static cling vinyl did you get. I checked for it, but there are so many! Any suggestions?  Thx. Lori