Tips for cleaning used tank?

Kenneth

I have used a mix of water and white vinegar with great success. I was able to really clean up a crummy old tank I got off of craigslist- I remember posting the before and after knline somewhere long ago and people were really surprised by the result. You can also use baking soda with the vinegar mix for any really tough spots. All of these are much less harmful than bleach, so there is less worry when putting fish in. However, if you need to sanitize (perhaps due to a previous ich outbreak or something,) you can use bleach. Just use lots of dechlorinator initially.

• Thanks 1

If it's just crud on the glass a razor blade then scrubbing with vinegar works really well. If your worried about sanitizing then bleach works too just rinse well and dose extra water conditioner when you fill it up. Also don't forget to check for leaks before you set it up! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kat_Rigel said:

I have used a mix of water and white vinegar with great success. I was able to really clean up a crummy old tank I got off of craigslist- I remember posting the before and after knline somewhere long ago and people were really surprised by the result. You can also use baking soda with the vinegar mix for any really tough spots. All of these are much less harmful than bleach, so there is less worry when putting fish in. However, if you need to sanitize (perhaps due to a previous ich outbreak or something,) you can use bleach. Just use lots of dechlorinator initially.

Hold up, There was an ich outbreak? 😐 How come I never heard of it.
Any bleach recommendation?

10 hours ago, johnjohnjohn87 said:

White vinegar has worked pretty well for me. What I wish I had thought of when I first got used tanks was a flat razor blade. That would have saved me loads of time and works on glass.

Sweet! Thanks for sharing!

2 hours ago, ChefConfit said:

If it's just crud on the glass a razor blade then scrubbing with vinegar works really well. If your worried about sanitizing then bleach works too just rinse well and dose extra water conditioner when you fill it up. Also don't forget to check for leaks before you set it up! 

Does any scrubber works?

Edited by Kenneth

54 minutes ago, Kat_Rigel said:

I wasn't sure what you meant by "clean," sometimes people really mean it needs sanitized. So if there was not ich or outbreak, the vinegar should work fine.

Oooohhhh yeah sorry for beiing unclear, I also thought there was an ich outbreak in everywhere of the world lol. Thanks for the help!

54 minutes ago, ChefConfit said:

I use a razor blade for any actual buildup on the glass then a towel and vinegar to clean the glass. Just be careful around your seals with the razorblade

Noted!

Edited by Kenneth
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Jefft51 said:

Just a quick note. If you want to use both vinegar and baking soda use them each separately for the best job. Mixing them together results in salty water and carbon dioxide. Yes it bubbles but not much cleaning. 

Woah! Thank you so much for sharing, I'm sure this is one of the critical information that I'll need!