Any Thoughts on Using This For An Aquarium Cover?

Dee of CNY

On 1/22/2021 at 12:42 PM, Bill Smith said:

And regarding cutting, I don't have a table saw, but I've used hand saws, a bandsaw, and a circular saw for mine. All cut through very nicely!

I find a straight edge and a sharp box cutter work well to cut these.

I’d be wary about using a table saw unless you have a finer toothed blade installed. I find larger toothed rip saw blades can shatter plastic material rather than cut is cleanly and safely. But this is just my experience cutting other things. The poly panels might be fine to cut with any blade, but I’d be careful. Or run a quick, small test first with goggles on. 

Also @Bill Smith the clear packing tape hinge works awesomely and is so easy. Just tried it and it was super simple, mostly invisible and all around a great hack. Thanks for that suggestion. 

EDIT: Just watched Cory’s video and he also does recommend a fine toothed blade!

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 1

Like many others mentioned, it works great as a top. I got a sheet of it for doing my lid on the 75g, and replace the glass on I broke on the 20g. 
As for the lighting, to me this material almost seems like it spreads the light out more across the tank. So the lighting in the tank looks more as if it comes from the whole top instead of just a light strip. But I don’t have any test equipment to verify any of this. 
And it cuts easily with just about anything. I used a razor blade, drill bits and hole saws for cutting mine. It allowed me to cut the top so that any openings were very minimal. 

49ADF414-DC55-4111-BAB1-AEE360041BC7.jpeg.91775bbd5f2c2fb017671ca1368c1b2c.jpeg

• Like 4

On 1/23/2021 at 3:34 PM, tolstoy21 said:

I’d be wary about using a table saw unless you have a finer toothed blade installed. I find larger toothed rip saw blades can shatter plastic material rather than cut is cleanly and safely.

I tried with a cheap 200 tooth blade and the cut was decent but not great. I like that material though as a lid, so I may try a different blade or possibly something to mitigate the plastic chipping.

18 hours ago, MorbidFinch said:

I tried with a cheap 200 tooth blade and the cut was decent but not great. I like that material though as a lid, so I may try a different blade or possibly something to mitigate the plastic chipping.

From Fishy Thoughts: And it cuts easily with just about anything. I used a razor blade, drill bits and hole saws for cutting mine. It allowed me to cut the top so that any openings were very minimal. 

Hope that helps!

• 10 months later...

@fkoran thanks for the inquiry. I use cupboard liner to mute lighting at various intervals. I use very inexpensive LED shop lights that are just a bit too bright for the length of photoperiod that I use them for. What I typically do is pull the liner under the LEDs after evening feeding and remove them before morning feeding. During my once-per-week fasting day (Sunday), I leave the tank lights muted all day.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/21/2021 at 2:20 PM, tolstoy21 said:

They only drawback to them is if you accidentally dip them into the tank the voids can fill with water and, if you're not paying attention, this spills on your floor.

I was planning on taping over the open edges to keep water and algae etc out. Have picked a tape yet. Any recommendations on tape that will stay stuck and make a good seal? I was toying with the idea of electrical tape, but it might be toxic over time.

I was planning on taping over the open edges to keep water and algae etc out. Have picked a tape yet. Any recommendations on tape that will stay stuck and make a good seal? I was toying with the idea of electrical tape, but it might be toxic over time.

I have found clear packing tape sticks perfectly well if you lay it flat. For edges, I wrap it around and then use a flat layer on top and bottom secure it down. It's nearly invisible and lets the maximum amount of light come through. Take your time, do it neatly.

On 4/28/2023 at 2:40 PM, Bill Smith said:

I have found clear packing tape sticks perfectly well if you lay it flat. For edges, I wrap it around and then use a flat layer on top and bottom secure it down. It's nearly invisible and lets the maximum amount of light come through. Take your time, do it neatly.

Agreed. I think electrical tape will be more likely to come off when wet. I find Scotch heavy duty packing tape is very STICKY and TOUGH.

I haven’t tried packing tape but I CAN tell you that the aluminum tape that is supposed to be used to seal the ends when twinwall is used for greenhouses does NOT hold up for aquarium use.  I haven’t had as much issues with moisture causing condensation and algae growth as I expected I would with the ends open.  Only very minor stuff easily cleaned and rinsed away so far over the last year-ish?

• Thanks 1

@KittenFishMomIf you believe the commercials, Flexitape or Gorilla tape are supposed to be unbeatable for wet use. 

Has anyone ever tried clear silicone or epoxy?

I am still looking for an economical source for twin wall poly carbonate.  Around me, if the store actually has it, I must by a full sheet in order to cut a single 30x12 inch lid.

@tanked Amazon sells smaller pieces. That is where I got mine. It is expensive because of the shipping. (I have Prime, but it wasn't covered by Prime) They sell different strengths and styles, so make sure the piece is the same color/clarity and same thickness if you want it to match a piece you already have.

On 4/29/2023 at 9:35 AM, Tanked said:

@KittenFishMomIf you believe the commercials, Flexitape or Gorilla tape are supposed to be unbeatable for wet use. 

Has anyone ever tried clear silicone or epoxy?

I am still looking for an economical source for twin wall poly carbonate.  Around me, if the store actually has it, I must by a full sheet in order to cut a single 30x12 inch lid.

I was able to find smaller sections at Home Depot for not too much, can’t remember now how much it was but I still have most of it after cutting tops for 5 small tanks.

• Thanks 1

On 4/30/2023 at 4:18 AM, Odd Duck said:

I was able to find smaller sections at Home Depot for not too much, can’t remember now how much it was but I still have most of it after cutting tops for 5 small tanks.

Home Depot/Lowes near me do not stock these products, but will allow me to order a 2x4 sheet for <$30.  If that was an option last year, I missed it.

• Like 1